+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratings Vs Dover

He could of put a defender up front with 10 mins to go cos the opposition had gone deep after he had already made an attacking substitution but didn't.

A non-story . Leave it to the professionals

Next

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Which one of their players would you like in our team? I've only heard of Youssef because of his time at Mansfield. They have a tiny squad and the reality is that they simply couldn't afford any of our players.

They were rubbish yesterday. A decent side would have torn them apart.
    Dover are clearly an effective side away from home rather than an attractive side. Whatever you think of the individual players, their record tells you they are not a rubbish side away from home, otherwise they would have a rubbish record, when in fact they have the best away record.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    He could of put a defender up front with 10 mins to go cos the opposition had gone deep after he had already made an attacking substitution but didn't.
    Allow me to pick you up on two points there, because two points is what we could have (of) won Neal. The first point is a grammatical one which I've already highlighted and while it's not really important on a footy messageboard, it doesn't reflect well on you when you repeatedly call other posters dumb. The second point is a tactical one - was Tyson really an attacking substitution? He replaced Sam Osborne, and played wide on the left just like Osborne did when he didn't swap wings with Enzio. Even though Tyson is described as a striker, did you see him get into their penalty box? So it is best described as like-for-like rather than attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm afraid you've lost me here. How can you permanently throw a defender up top for 10 minutes????? If it's permanent, then surely by definition it has to be for 90 minutes plus. If by permanently you mean every game, again it's perfectly obvious that I wasn't saying that at all. I thought I had explained quite clearly the rewards v losses gamble thing, but obviously not clear enough for you.

How the f@@k do you work that out? If it works, we gain two two points, it doesn't and we lose one point. We don't even need to win half of the time to be in profit. You seem to be struggling here, so let me put it another way. We repeatedly toss a coin, and if you guess right I give you a quid, but if I guess right you give me two quid. Again, what part of that are you struggling with?

Apart from being incorrect, if you see that as a risk we'll have to agree to differ.
    I mean permanently as in he stays up front as opposed to just corners, free kicks. I mean as in for the last ten minutes he is permanently up front and not defending.
    I also get the maths thanks. I’m saying the likelihood of it paying off vs the likelihood of it costing us isn’t 50/50.
    If your ‘philosophy’ was full proof then every manager would do it. Yet, no manager seems to do it.
    If you think playing a defender up front is a better tactical move than having three strikers on the pitch then you’re right. We should agree to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I mean permanently as in he stays up front as opposed to just corners, free kicks. I mean as in for the last ten minutes he is permanently up front and not defending.
    The use of the term 'permanently up front' is too simplistic, because I'm talking considered gambles rather than reckless gambles. Yes, I'm saying he should take up a striker's position in the box in open play, but if we were defending a corner, because of his height I would bring him back to defend like Kyle Wootton and pretty much everyone else does under Ardley.

I also get the maths thanks. I’m saying the likelihood of it paying off vs the likelihood of it costing us isn’t 50/50.
    Based on what? Why would it make them more likely to score than us? If it isn't 50/50, what is it?

If your ‘philosophy’ was full proof then every manager would do it. Yet, no manager seems to do it.
    What? You've never seen any manager push a defender up front in the later stages of a game?

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The use of the term 'permanently up front' is too simplistic, because I'm talking considered gambles rather than reckless gambles. Yes, I'm saying he should take up a striker's position in the box in open play, but if we were defending a corner, because of his height I would bring him back to defend like Kyle Wootton and pretty much everyone else does under Ardley.

Based on what? Why would it make them more likely to score than us? If it isn't 50/50, what is it?

What? You've never seen any manager push a defender up front in the later stages of a game?

Wow.
    Mate seriously you win.
    You have these arguments constantly with people on here and you’re just relentless and boring in equal measure.
    It’s a bit sad really so I’ll concede and say Ardley absolutely went for the draw by playing 4-3-3 and if he had any sort of tactical clue he would have instead thrown a defender up front.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Dover are clearly an effective side away from home rather than an attractive side. Whatever you think of the individual players, their record tells you they are not a rubbish side away from home, otherwise they would have a rubbish record, when in fact they have the best away record.
    Top of the league away from home;

Dover Athletic;
    P14, W8, D3, L3, GF15, GA14, GD+1, Pts 27

So in 14 games away from home there have only been six teams who they have not been able to beat and we are one of them. Only three teams have been able to beat them. Should we have been the 4th? Up for debate and discussion but maybe being one of the six who they have not beaten is the best we deserved.

Mate seriously you win.
    You have these arguments constantly with people on here and you’re just relentless and boring in equal measure.
    It’s a bit sad really so I’ll concede and say Ardley absolutely went for the draw by playing 4-3-3 and if he had any sort of tactical clue he would have instead thrown a defender up front.
    I was genuinely interested to know why you thought it was more likely to go against us than for us, and on what percentage basis.

I would prefer you to tell me rather than spit your dummy out.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Slocombe: Not a lot to do, but did it well. 7
    Brindley: hardly noticed him, offered little going forward but wasn't really challenged all game. 5
    Rawlinson: solid. 7
    Lacey: Plays some decent balls forward and looks solid. 7 MOM
    McCrory: pWe need to get more out of him going forward. Solid enough though against a poor attacking team. 6
    Osbourne: looked the most likely to make things happen, was the victim of some poor refereeing. Poor final ball though. 6
    Enzio: Took some poor corners and hit the post with a free kick...but did very little else. I think it is a reflection of Ardley's coaching that we can't get him into games more consistently. To be fair to him, he was given nothing to work with. 5
    Doyle: Shouts a lot and puts himself about, but got a silly booking for dissent because he can't keep his mouth shut. Some nice passes, but gives it away a hell of a lot too. Sponsors gave him MOM...not for me. 6
    Rose: Did very little. 5
    Thomas: looked most likely to score, but he generally misses a lot of chances. Lacks composure. 6
    Wootton: Had very poor service all game, but did fail to get his one opportunity on target. Isolated at home to Dover... shouldn't have been. 5

Dennis: Didn't do much really. 6
    Tyson: Could be an option on the left, looked dangerous, but didn't have much time. 6

Ardley: Tactically poor. Couldn't find a way to break down another rubbish team at home. Should be getting more from these players. 4
    Anyway, back to the ratings...the point of the thread!
    Pretty much agree with those. Only alteration for me would be Doyle and Rose -1 meaning Doyle on 5 and Rose on 4.
    I though Rose was diabolical and his first touch is so poor. Whether we go up or not, this is the primary area to improve on imo.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    So in 14 games away from home there have only been six teams who they have not been able to beat and we are one of them. Only three teams have been able to beat them. Should we have been the 4th? Up for debate and discussion but maybe being one of the six who they have not beaten is the best we deserved.
    We were the width of a post away with Enzio's free-kick. I'm sure Dover felt they thoroughly merited a draw, but if that grasscutter had hit the inside of the post and gone in, I don't think 1-0 would have been an unfair outcome in a game of such fine margins.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast