+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: An apology to Mr Mark Connolly Dundee United FC.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    He has a big heart too and between him, the other Mark & Paul Watson we have central defence covered for 20/21.
    Absolutely no chance these 3 can lead our defence in the Premiership. They just aren't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    Agree with this 100%. Can't possibly question his passion and desire but he's erratic and always prone to doing something stupid. Far too often he gives away ridiculous free-kicks. Watson is the far more reliable of the 2 for me. I think we need at least 1 centre-half for next season.
    Connelly gets a bad press unnecessarily in my book. He rarely makes a mistake that costs a goal and his drive and attitude is spectacular.

He terrifies me mate! He's too rash and unreliable. Having said that, the last half an hour or so yesterday he was outstanding.

Connolly’s style gives quite a lot of people the fear. I’ll admit to him giving me the odd fright but the facts prove the bombscare reputation is extremely harsh.

He’s played 29 games for us and we’ve lost 3. 2-1 to ICT in last season Scottish Cup, 2-1 away at Partick Thistle when we were chasing County so had everyone up the park and lost a late goal on counter and 1-0 away to Morton in last league game of last season when we were resting players for play offs.

We’ve never conceded more than 2 goals in a game he’s played. He’s picked up 7 yellow cards so an average of 1 every 4 appearances and he’s never been sent off.

No hiding from fact he had a real howler in 2nd leg of play off against St Mirren but as a team we had 94 minutes plus a penalty shoot out to make up for it and failed.

A far better option than likes of Durnan, Donaldson, Quinn, Edjenguele, Scobbie, Toshney and Frans who’ve all played for us at centre half in recent years.

I've never really rated him but apart from a couple of mistimed defensive headers he had quite a good game and probably got the nod over Reynolds because of the pace Hibs had in attack.

Players like Connolly (and Butcher) make up for their football limitations with having a huge heart and will to win which usually does make them rash in the tackle and prone to silly bookings.

I do think he was prone to rash decisions earlier on, but think he has settled down and has cut most of that out, and has become much more consistent. It may have been down to working out his partnership with Reynolds. He seems more comfortable being on the left with Watson to the right, rather than to the right with Reynolds left.

Quote Originally Posted by Noddydog View Post
    I do think he was prone to rash decisions earlier on, but think he has settled down and has cut most of that out, and has become much more consistent. It may have been down to working out his partnership with Reynolds. He seems more comfortable being on the left with Watson to the right, rather than to the right with Reynolds left.
    There is no such thing as the perfect player in any position. Hegarty was better in the air than Narey. Narey was faster and better on the deck than Hegs. Perfect combo.

We are working on that , maybe not at that level, but. Watson IMO has steadied the ship after being played out of position.

Not sure what the best formation is yet , but. Watson is now getting the credit he is due, nothing flashy , nice and steady .
    Last edited by Yeats 62; 20-01-2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling :)

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Absolutely no chance these 3 can lead our defence in the Premiership. They just aren't good enough.
    ^^^ This

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    ^^^ This
    Would you keep any?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Would you keep any?
    Nope, yesterday was a reality check and we were very lucky to get a draw. I watched the game on TV today and the commentators said United were like 'headless chickens'. I would call that an exaggeration but we were certainly poor.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)