+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are we looking a better side......

Exactly Saxo

But it doesn't have to be the same for every team, Saxo.
    Some of the top PL clubs rotate regularly.
    In our case, it is obvious that we have many players of roughly the same standard, but with different attributes.
    It makes perfect sense to make changes according to form, fitness and the perceived qualities of the opposition. Of course, that won't always work. Nothing "always works" in football. That's why it's unpredictable, fun and frustrating!
    All of us on here watch as many games as we can.
    Do we all come to the same conclusions?
    And if we were each asked to select our own "best XI", they would all be different.
    I wouldn't be able to do it very easily, anyway, because - like Mowbray - I would say, "Well, it depends who we're playing."

As for Burnley, well, they were playing more or less the same XI when they were on a losing run as well!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 23-01-2020 at 12:09 AM.

On the subject of team selection, I'll have my go here!

I would expect QPR to play an attacking style next week. That being the case, it's probably not going to be so much a matter of breaking down two lines of defenders. Instead, we might want to play a counter-attacking style - at pace.
    What do I think is the best team for that scenario?
    Something like:
    Walton
    Nyambe Tosin Lenihan Bell
    Rankin-Costello Travis Downing
    Holtby Armstrong
    Gallagher.

There are lots of tweaks that could be made there, and we would be a bit light on defensive qualities, but I almost think we could risk the Coyle "Let's win 4-3" approach here, and that team does have a fair amount of pace. R-C would probably prefer to play on the left, but it's good to have Downing covering Bell.
    And, yes, I would play Gallagher at No.9 with Armstrong and Holtby as twin 10s in this game, on the grounds of giving QPR lots to think about. There is nothing to stop Gallagher and Armstrong interchanging in the course of the game, anyway.
    Obviously, this is not advice to Mowbray. It is one football fan doing what we ALL enjoy!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 23-01-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)