+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear tony

Dear tony

The last time we got a positive performance and result was Bristol city away,what followed was a long break then a few unnecessary changes against wigan followed by a limp result.
    Can we keep the same team(injuries aside)
    Against QPR?
    Continuity in squad selection helps prevent against inconsist performances.

Yours
    Most of the rovers fanbase.

Being honest, I don't actually changing things around has the negative effect everyone says it does.
    I am hard pressed to see a side in any league that doesn't do this. Most at our level do, better teams than us do it. Worse teams than us do it.
    Its just a common thing in football now.
    It's more how and why which player is coming in, and will them playing, slow us down.

I had no real issue with players being brought in for that Wigan game. It was the personnel he brought in.
    Its taken a while, but I feel there are a few players who where getting in this side whether they played well or not. Including Dack. I feel we are slowly moving away from that.
    It is percived an experinced player will not let you down, whereas a young lad stepping in may do.
    The last two seasons have proven that is rarely the case. And this is dawning on him.
    There is a picking a side to play a game which is right in front of you. And there is looking at the bigger picture, and the future.

A good shout Robin.
    TM needs to stop tinkering or GO!
    Why can't he see it?

A slight tongue in cheek sven with my post,However it would be so typically him if after a resounding victory he would make 4 or 5 changes.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Being honest, I don't actually changing things around has the negative effect everyone says it does.
    I am hard pressed to see a side in any league that doesn't do this. Most at our level do, better teams than us do it. Worse teams than us do it.
    Its just a common thing in football now.
    It's more how and why which player is coming in, and will them playing, slow us down.

I had no real issue with players being brought in for that Wigan game. It was the personnel he brought in.
    Its taken a while, but I feel there are a few players who where getting in this side whether they played well or not. Including Dack. I feel we are slowly moving away from that.
    It is percived an experinced player will not let you down, whereas a young lad stepping in may do.
    The last two seasons have proven that is rarely the case. And this is dawning on him.
    There is a picking a side to play a game which is right in front of you. And there is looking at the bigger picture, and the future.
    But, Champs, he will certainly also get criticised for picking a team for the future if it doesn't work!
    As far as I can see, a manager has "got it right" when the team wins, but "wrong" when it loses - regardless of all other factors!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    But, Champs, he will certainly also get criticised for picking a team for the future if it doesn't work!
    As far as I can see, a manager has "got it right" when the team wins, but "wrong" when it loses - regardless of all other factors!
    I thought the result at weekend got a lukewarm reception considering what was achieved. If you aren't impressed bt Sat football probably isnt for you.
    He just has to stick by one plan. Which I feel has changed somewhat. Because he is being let down time and time again by old experienced players like Johnson & Bennett, Graham etc. Of which he also gets stick. Unless we win every game he will always face criticism.
    We aren't going down, and the play offs should not be the be all and end all this season for a very young side. Play them now, and I feel we would give a very good chance next season. Its about finding the right balance. At this moment in time I feel we have the right balance of experience and youth. The last 2 games, where what I expected from Downing. He has been excellent. Completely different player to the guy earlier in the season. That's what we need.

Indeed Robin.
    We may well win a few until he thinkers again.

Perhaps that is his trouble?
    Thinkers not tinkers

I still don't quite follow the "tinkering" argument.
    When we went into the Bristol City game, we had just picked up 13 out of a possible 15 points...and Mowbray made six changes!
    That team included Bennett, Bell, Johnson, Brereton and Gallagher - all of whom had been under heavy criticism from supporters.
    Surely, that was the biggest "tinker" of the season, but we proceeded to put on our best performance of the campaign up to that point!

Tosin was injured and couldn't play against Wigan. Five of the players who had been getting most stick all season (Bell, Johnson, Brereton, Gallagher and the 'awful' Bennett) were dropped. Williams, Downing, Evans, Armstrong, Dack and Graham were the players introduced.
    Hands on hearts - did any of you look at that line-up (in advance!) and say it was weaker than the one that started in Bristol?
    This is what I mean. We're in danger of ignoring "tinkering" when it works, but saying it's wholly responsible for a poor performance when it doesn't.
    I have added the starting line-ups for comparison.
    When I look at them, I have no doubt at all which one I'd have said was stronger if I'd been shown them before the games were played - given that Tosin was unfit for the second one.

BRISTOL CITY: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Adarabioyo, Bell, Travis, Johnson, Bennett, Holtby, Brereton, Gallagher.
    WIGAN: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams, Downing, Travis, Evans, Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell, Graham.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 22-01-2020 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I still don't quite follow the "tinkering" argument.
    When we went into the Bristol City game, we had just picked up 13 out of a possible 15 points...and Mowbray made six changes!
    That team included Bennett, Bell, Johnson, Brereton and Gallagher - all of whom had been under heavy criticism from supporters.
    Surely, that was the biggest "tinker" of the season, but we proceeded to put on our best performance of the campaign up to that point!

Tosin was injured and couldn't play against Wigan. Five of the players who had been getting most stick all season (Bell, Johnson, Brereton, Gallagher and the 'awful' Bennett) were dropped. Williams, Downing, Evans, Armstrong, Dack and Graham were the players introduced.
    Hands on hearts - did any of you look at that line-up (in advance!) and say it was weaker than the one that started in Bristol?
    This is what I mean. We're in danger of ignoring "tinkering" when it works, but saying it's wholly responsible for a poor performance when it doesn't.
    I have added the starting line-ups for comparison.
    When I look at them, I have no doubt at all which one I'd have said was stronger if I'd been shown them before the games were played - given that Tosin was unfit for the second one.

BRISTOL CITY: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Adarabioyo, Bell, Travis, Johnson, Bennett, Holtby, Brereton, Gallagher.
    WIGAN: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams, Downing, Travis, Evans, Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell, Graham.
    Why make so many changes to a winning side then? Injuries aside. The fact Dack used to walk back in the side was half the problem. Bennett didnt play RB vrs Bristol City. So we always stood half a chance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)