+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Smith

Jimmy Smith

My old man's favourite player.

Happy birthday.

First one that I remember enjoying watching.

Happy birthday Jinky Smith

Jinky and Francis Munro. My heroes when I was 10.

Aye two cracking players players there in a great team Vintage min. Was affa upset when we transferred them.

I noticed coincidentally that Smith returned to Pittodrie during 1974 in a Texaco Cup Quarter Final two legged affair against Newcastle United.

Were any of you old codgers there? There were two decent crowds both at St James Park and Pittodrie...

There was far more going on game wise in the 1970s.

The pre-season of 1974-1975, we toured Iran,Australia, New Zealand and New Caledonia. Doug Rougvie making his debut in Auckland (the second of the Gothenburg XI to play for the Dons). Also we had a home friendly against Nijmegen, one of a number of seemingly, from a distance in time, random friendlies against world opposition that we played during the 1970s and to lesser extent in the 1980s...

As a relative youngster on this thread (first game was March 1984), I yearn for the Texaco Cup days...
    Last edited by BogBrush1903; 21-01-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonDandy View Post
    Aye two cracking players players there in a great team Vintage min. Was affa upset when we transferred them.
    I spoke to Jinky when there was a 50th anniversary re-union for the KR Reykjavik ECWC tie in 2017. He couldn't believe that so many people were in awe of his presence, half a century on.

Affa fine boy, and when I asked him about Turnbull, he said he regretted falling oot with him before he left for Newcastle (where he was considered a deity) since Stein wanted him to sign for Celtic, which he'd have loved as a Tim.

He said that they both laughed about it years later, but he still felt bad about having had a row with the man who gave him and his brither the opportunity to escape the poverty of Glasgow.

Two nights later, I was in Glasgow to see a band at Cottiers, and knowing that the band were all Geordies (apart from ex-UFO drummer Clive Edwards, who's a Spurs fan), I mentioned to one of the crew that I'd met a Sid James's Park hero the night before. When I telt him who, he insisted in shaking the same hand as had shaken Jinky's the night before, uttering words like 'legend'.

Proper Mannies fitba players.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Doug Rougvie making his debut in Auckland
    Doug's first senior medal was from the 1973 Highland League Cup final where Keith beat Ross County 2-1 at Boroughbriggs. Quite baroque terracing violence that day.

Rougvie, Leighton, 6, and McMaster of the Gothenburg lot all played in the Heelan League.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Doug's first senior medal was from the 1973 Highland League Cup final where Keith beat Ross County 2-1 at Boroughbriggs. Quite baroque terracing violence that day.

Rougvie, Leighton, 6, and McMaster of the Gothenburg lot all played in the Heelan League.
    Somebody as edited Wikipedia to say the scoreline was 3-2. It also says that it was the first of three consecutive Keith v Ross County League Cup Finals with Keith winning all three!

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    I noticed coincidentally that Smith returned to Pittodrie during 1974 in a Texaco Cup Quarter Final two legged affair against Newcastle United.

Were any of you old codgers there? There were two decent crowds both at St James Park and Pittodrie...

There was far more going on game wise in the 1970s.

The pre-season of 1974-1975, we toured Iran,Australia, New Zealand and New Caledonia. Doug Rougvie making his debut in Auckland (the second of the Gothenburg XI to play for the Dons). Also we had a home friendly against Nijmegen, one of a number of seemingly, from a distance in time, random friendlies against world opposition that we played during the 1970s and to lesser extent in the 1980s...

As a relative youngster on this thread (first game was March 1984), I yearn for the Texaco Cup days...
    I was there, 1-1 draw as I recall.
    I think Willie Young scored for us with Malcolm MacDonald equalising.

I think the second leg was 1-0 them.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post

And McLeish played in the juniors with Lewis United.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast