+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Bring on the Morton at Home

ICT and ayr will be doing very well to even get 65 points lads, were not far off that all ready, the players we have now have the right attitude and mentality to see us comfortably over the line.

We are going to win the League, there’s no need to be panicking. Since we hit the front again at home to Dunfermline at the end of October the lead has been increasing week on week including yesterday despite the fact we only drew. Nobody has reduced our lead at any time since at any point. Yesterday was a classic case of putting other teams on a downer when they would have come off after there own game only to find out that United had pulled it out of the bag yet again. Other managers and players are all making statements and have body language that indicates they have accepted that winning the League is out of the question and it is otherwise all about finishing as high as possible. And let’s face it, if WE were sitting 18 points behind somebody who hadn’t lost since October, we wouldn’t be harbouring aspirations of catching them.

BUT, we need two or three in for next season no question. Yesterday was like watching a game of tennis with the ball constantly going side to side. We are seriously lacking a Stuart Armstrong type midfielder who can drive forward and play effective passes between the opposition to open up defences. We played totally in front of Morton yesterday, were too ponderous and thus gave them far too much time to get organised in to their two banks of five. We started off pretty well and agree that had Sow’s goal stood we’d have likely gone on to win comfortably, but the fact is we didn’t and seemed to totally run out of ideas after they scored. Dillon Powers I am really not sure about. Yes, he is tidy. Yes, he seemed to rarely give the ball away. But, his passes were all mostly side to side to a team mate 20 yards away so it’s easy to get good pass success stats on paper when it’s not actually effective. Additionally he was so deep at times he was almost a third CH. He actually reminded me of Dorrans up the road and we’ve given them plenty of pelters about that. There are other elements of yesterday I could mention (MCMullen for one) but at least we did dig in, kept going and got a point in the end. Combined with Arbroath in September that is four points dug out from bad losing positions which is pretty good.

However, we need a bit more quality for making next season’s step up. But I’m confident that RN and his team will be on that particular job.

P2BAA.

The last 3 games at tannadice Dundee, hibs, and Morton we have sorely been lacking in creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Who says they can't, it still happens though, Tues could go 120 mins, I'd rather have a fresh Butcher etc, plus we don't know who is carrying little niggles.

We are going up as Champions (I have zero doubt now) so need to give this our best shot, nothing to lose now and if we pull out off then BSC in Alloa awaits.
    For me, that’s more likely to have been the reason for team changes. At this time of year, players will be carrying little niggling injuries, and pitches are heavy. The risk of playing means a minor injury becomes something that can keep a player out for weeks rather than one game. Especially in a period where we are playing midweek games. I therefore expect to see changes on Tuesday, not particularly because its the cup, but simply because its about managing minor knocks and niggles.
    We have a decent overall squad who should be able to cope with changes.
    Of course these things can be gambles that upset your rhythm, and nearly backfired, but we got away with it. We all knew there would be blips along the way, so lets just accept it as that and move on. As others have said, it can be difficult when the other team scores first then sits in.
    I also note that various criticisms pinpoint a variety of players, while others defend. We all have our “favourites” or otherwise, and it can be difficult to be objective once we have formed a view. At our level, only the young have any real chance of becoming world beaters, and until then, they will suffer from the same weaknesses, strengths and inconsistencies as the rest. I just try to keep an open mind, particularly with the young and newly arrived.
    Partnerships and understanding are important to teamwork and that is where things sometimes cause concern. For instance some are blaming Connelly and others Reynolds. I am not sure it is either, but do have a concern that they don’t work well together.
    Its true that the league is not won, but there are no real signs of any meltdown, so lets not go too apesh*t over one result.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    The last 3 games at tannadice Dundee, hibs, and Morton we have sorely been lacking in creativity.
    agreed, no spark, granted no defeats but its a major concern. I get people think its all good, we're not getting beat, the gap keeps widening etc but a few bad results for us and a the gap starts closing and then its potentially panic stations. I'm no where near as confident as some, until mathematically impossible we cant say 'it's won, it's in the bag' no way, it's only January ffs

As its been said, sure it was Whitfield, expect Arbroath to do the same next week too, we need to be able to break teams doing this down.

Myself and plenty others have been screaming for width and creativity for many many months now and we were missing that yesterday, hopefully we add that this window especially losing Stanton who created and got forward, i don't get the impression Powers is that type of player and he still looks quite heavy IMO.

P.s. where's Cammy Smith? did he go to Ireland?

With the number of departures recently, i am expecting at least 2 inbound. I think its now generally accepted we need a Stanton type with a bit more dig, and at least one flying winger.

Powers for me was not brought in for the Stanton job, more to take the pressure of Butcher who i think might be the one to push forward more often.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post

P.s. where's Cammy Smith? did he go to Ireland?
    Can anyone explain why he gets no real chance to get in to form but Pawlett does? I actually feel sorry for both them, we dont play to their strengths, play them out of position and they both struggle but why does Pawlett keep getting chances regardless of how bad hes been but C Smith doesn't? The only explanations can be one is a favourite of the manager and the other isn't or ones on so much money we need to try get him on the pitch.... its certainly not based on performances anyway.

Along with Stanton, i think Cammy Smith could have been the man to unlock the bus sooner than we did yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    Can anyone explain why he gets no real chance to get in to form but Pawlett does? I actually feel sorry for both them, we dont play to their strengths, play them out of position and they both struggle but why does Pawlett keep getting chances regardless of how bad hes been but C Smith doesn't? The only explanations can be one is a favourite of the manager and the other isn't or ones on so much money we need to try get him on the pitch.... its certainly not based on performances anyway.
    Pawletts the golden child but looks to be injured, again. Thats usually better for us as we dont have Robbie trying to fit him in and sacrificing moving guys to suit... sad but true.

I always wanted to give Smith a chance in the no.10 position where he was awarded PFA POTY, Robbie played him oot wide

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Along with Stanton, i think Cammy Smith could have been the man to unlock the bus sooner than we did yesterday.
    Agreed but again, we didnt use him, no even on the bench

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)