+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring on the Morton at Home

It speaks volumes that someone like Lee McCulloch with the career he had and managers he had worked under and even having a brief stint as Killie manager, respects and praises Robbie's strengths and is happy working under him, it speaks volumes how happy the players are working under him and how hard they work for him, Butcher and the like have highlighted this so think we can ignore a few daft comments about tombola etc as results and spirit speak for themselves and selections are more often than not spot on

As for Harkes, he is a very good player and imo has the attributes to be our most important player in the near future, one of the first in the team sheet for me, this season will stand him in good stead, it may be even next season (if Shankland is gone), does a lot of work that goes unnoticed but as he was playing well when subbed, but it was his first game back so that's probably the factor why.. Also seen his girlfriend has now moved over and has signed for Celtic so that should help even more.. He is one we will sell to a club in England in a couple years.

Sorry shedka I jst dnt see harkes this way. He is a decent player bt I think the championship is his level. I didn’t think he played well against Hibs missed placed a lot of passes and lost a lot of balls. His missed placed flick at the edge of the hibs box led to a quick counter attack and their goal. I think butch and power will be better options with young glass coming through.

It wasn't so long ago that Robbie was being slated by the majority on here. His team selections, formations, they were different every single week. Players were being played out of position and all we wanted was round pegs in round holes. It's not ****ing rocket science. We have a striker who is far too good for this league and it's papered over a lot of cracks. We have however, finally started playing to our potential and it's coincided with players playing in the correct positions, playing formations that they know and are used to. He then goes and plays a 4-3-3, a formation that we never use, in our hardest game of the season, and whilst we got a draw, the team performance really wasn't very good. They didn't know how to play the formation. Why did he do this? Who knows but it seems like he didn't feel he could leave Harkes out whilst at the same time wanted to play Powers. He also brings Pawlett straight back into the reckoning. Why did he do this? No one actually knows because Pawlett is ****e. Appere should be starting. He's been fantastic all season.
    So there is still that 'Tombola' element which was absolutely highlighted in the cup game. Robbie is doing a lot right, but he is also still capable of getting it bizarrely wrong for reasons only he could answer.

As for Harkes, he's split opinion on here and I've said more than enough on him but I'd echo Arabknights comments 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Sorry shedka I jst dnt see harkes this way. He is a decent player bt I think the championship is his level. I didn’t think he played well against Hibs missed placed a lot of passes and lost a lot of balls. His missed placed flick at the edge of the hibs box led to a quick counter attack and their goal. I think butch and power will be better options with young glass coming through.

Sure I saw a guy who analyses passes on our team and Harkes is usually one of the highest and never drops below a certain percent, many of our players didn't play well on Sat, Powers too wasn't great and was very sluggish at their first goal, it was a mix of trying to play those three together which was a decent idea but didn't work on the day and that a few players just came back into the team, Harkes included, it will stand us good stead next tues though that they have that game time under their belt

But yea agree to disagree on Harkes, he'll become a key player and has more tush enough ability to go above championship level

Ian Harkes will play at a higher level than us when he leaves. He's one of the few players on our books you can rely on to pass a ball with any degree of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    Ian Harkes will play at a higher level than us when he leaves. He's one of the few players on our books you can rely on to pass a ball with any degree of accuracy.
    He was only showing that for part games before his injury. if he was any good, he would have been bang on it against Hibs after such a short lay off.

Think people forget where we are sometimes. We're in the Championship, playing against ****e like Alloa & Morton. Harkes is doing no more than okay at this level. He's 24, so should really be looking to be playing at the highest level he can very, very soon. Stuart Armstrong he most definitely isn't (in relation to playing at a higher level than us). Next season will be a defining season for him.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    It wasn't so long ago that Robbie was being slated by the majority on here. His team selections, formations, they were different every single week. Players were being played out of position and all we wanted was round pegs in round holes. It's not ****ing rocket science. We have a striker who is far too good for this league and it's papered over a lot of cracks. We have however, finally started playing to our potential and it's coincided with players playing in the correct positions, playing formations that they know and are used to. He then goes and plays a 4-3-3, a formation that we never use, in our hardest game of the season, and whilst we got a draw, the team performance really wasn't very good. They didn't know how to play the formation. Why did he do this? Who knows but it seems like he didn't feel he could leave Harkes out whilst at the same time wanted to play Powers. He also brings Pawlett straight back into the reckoning. Why did he do this? No one actually knows because Pawlett is ****e. Appere should be starting. He's been fantastic all season.
    So there is still that 'Tombola' element which was absolutely highlighted in the cup game. Robbie is doing a lot right, but he is also still capable of getting it bizarrely wrong for reasons only he could answer.

As for Harkes, he's split opinion on here and I've said more than enough on him but I'd echo Arabknights comments 100%.
    ^^^ This

cant see anyone being able to disagree with any of this, great post and bang on the money!!! Like i've said on various threads it didnt back fire using a different formation as we never got beat but it never done us any favours either...

Post of the decade

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)