+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50yrs Kop Choir.

50yrs Kop Choir.

WOW where as that 50yrs gone, SCARY....Just thinking of the variation of songs at that time (late 60s/early 70s) my favourite by a country mile was the very unique "Men of Millmoor on to glory" to the tune of Men of Harlech. Ive heard many people say that Sheff.u fans pinched the chip butty song off us, not sure if true but nobody could have pinched stole Men of Millmoor it was unique to us, i would love to know who thought that one up, surely they must have had help from Lennon & McCartney (remember them 2) BRILLIANT...still sing it to myself to this day, so question to you old batts who can still remember that era what was your favourite song. U.T.F.M.

It will always be Mighty Quinn that reminds me of that day. I remember standing there and singing along, one song after another and it was as if all the Tivoli end decided to sing at the top of their voices. It sounded absolutely brilliant and I've never heard anything like it since, apart from Liverpool's Kop when they sing You'll never Walk Alone.

Wasn't there a Car as first prize that was raffled off ?

If so did anyone actually win it ?

I used to like 'From the green green grass of Millmoor, to the Isles of Sicily. We will fight fight fight for Rotherham, till we win the football league, etc'. I know the tune but not sure what it's called. Mighty Quinn is probably the most evocative signature tune we've ever had for the team to run out to - I'm sure it inspired the team and the crowd alike. I feel these days that we don't make the most of boosting the atmosphere at NYS before kick-off. Some grounds put on some great classic rock songs to build the atmosphere. I seem to remember Peterborough did a good job the last time we visited there.

'We shall not be moved' had a hippy-soulful feel to it.

Run out song

Mighty Quinn was the classic but "Hold Tight" by Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Titch was my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwODy5xSrcc

To the tune of "Grandma we love you"

Georgie we love you
    Georgie we do.
    Even when we're playing away
    We'll follow you.
    And one day when we're champions
    We'll look back and say.
    It's thanks to good old Georgie Kerr
    He helped us on our way.....

That wasn't sung much on the Tivoli tbf but I've never forgotten it.

In terms of clubs revving their fans up. Millwall away when Alan Lee got sent off and we lost 4-0, the season we finished runners up. They were blasting loud music out with massive speakers facing the Millwall fans and whipped em up into a reyt frenzy. Not like that mob need it really but it made for a really intimidating atmosphere that day. Tbh I don't think Big Al fancied it one bit that day and was happy to get sent off. Men versus boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    WOW where as that 50yrs gone, SCARY....Just thinking of the variation of songs at that time (late 60s/early 70s) my favourite by a country mile was the very unique "Men of Millmoor on to glory" to the tune of Men of Harlech. Ive heard many people say that Sheff.u fans pinched the chip butty song off us, not sure if true but nobody could have pinched stole Men of Millmoor it was unique to us, i would love to know who thought that one up, surely they must have had help from Lennon & McCartney (remember them 2) BRILLIANT...still sing it to myself to this day, so question to you old batts who can still remember that era what was your favourite song. U.T.F.M.
    Wow didn't realise it was that long ago , The draw was indeed at TC Harrison's, drawn by Tommy Doc himself , and yours truly was the last name drawn,the prize was a trip to the San Siro to watch the European cup final Celtic v Feyernood.........still have a pic of the gang that went....
    Men of Millmoor was thought up by myself, Arthur Hoyland and Tosh, who also all went to Milan..... Such memories ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cornish miller View Post
    Wow didn't realise it was that long ago , The draw was indeed at TC Harrison's, drawn by Tommy Doc himself , and yours truly was the last name drawn,the prize was a trip to the San Siro to watch the European cup final Celtic v Feyernood.........still have a pic of the gang that went....
    Men of Millmoor was thought up by myself, Arthur Hoyland and Tosh, who also all went to Milan..... Such memories ....
    Men of millmoor onto Glory pass the ball to big Jim Storrie he will pass to Graham Legget who will score the goal..... Stevie wonder Downsy Quinny wears the crownie...... Captain a tiler ,Jim Furnell ,Swifty Hague and Bentley, Davey Watson is for England and the boss is Tommy Docherty ...men of millmoor on to glory ....Millers to the Top !!!!!!

Molly Malone & we’ve travelled far & wide.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast