+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The eco-loons strike again.

The eco-loons strike again.

Is there no end to this lunacy ? Sadly I suspect not.

"Wind farms were paid up to £3 million per day to switch off their turbines and not produce electricity last week, The Telegraph can disclose. Energy firms were handed more than £12 million in compensation following a fault with a major power line carrying electricity to England from turbines in Scotland. The payouts, which will ultimately be added onto consumer bills, were between 25 per cent and 80 per cent more than the firms, which own giant wind farms in Scotland, would have received had they been producing electricity, according to an analysis of official figures. The payments have prompted questions in Parliament, as one charity warned that consumers were having to fund the consequences of an "excessive" number of onshore wind farms, which can overwhelm the electricity grid.

In December an analysis by the Renewable Energy Foundation, a charity that monitors energy use, revealed that the operators of 86 wind farms in Britain were handed more than £136 million in so-called "constraint payments" last year - a new record. REF has warned that consumers are left to foot the bill for wind farm operators having to reduce their output as a result of an "excessive" number of turbines in Scotland leaving the electricity grid unable to cope on occasions such as when there are strong winds. The Western Link, a 530-mile high-voltage cable running from the west coast of Scotland to the north coast of Wales, was built to help overcome the problem by providing more capacity to transport green energy from onshore wind farms in Scotland, to England and Wales.

But the line, which became fully operational in 2018, has been dogged by difficulties. In the latest incident, it "tripped" on Jan 10, prompting a spike in the number of wind farms being asked to shut down temporarily because they were producing more energy than could be transported to consumers' homes. On the following day - last Saturday - 50 wind farms were asked to stop producing electricity, and given a total of £2.5 million in compensation to do so. Last Wednesday, the figure was as high as £3.3 million, which was paid out to £3.3 million wind farms by National Grid's Electricity System Operator (ESO) arm.

This weekend the payments continued to be made as the power line remained out of use amid an investigation into the cause of the fault. Dr John Constable, director of REF, which first exposed the scale of "constraint payments, said: "The Scottish Government has permitted excessive and environmentally damaging growth in wind power north of the border which has put the electricity system under great strain and burdened English and Welsh consumers not only with constraint payments but also with the additional expense of a £1 billion interconnector that is itself proving unreliable. The environment and the consumer have been betrayed over and over again.” Viscount Ridley, the science writer and former businessman, has now put down a series of written questions in the House of Lords about the Western Link and its cost to taxpayers."

Let's dismantle them all and reopen the mines, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Let's dismantle them all and reopen the mines, eh?
    Just pointing out the scam being perpetrated on us 59 by the eco-loons. And why re-open mines, what's wrong with Nuclear or Gas ?

What about the sun?

I don't really care what they use to keep my Central Heating up and running and my lights on, but paying out £3 million a day not to produce electricity is lunacy in anyone's book.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I don't really care what they use to keep my Central Heating up and running and my lights on, but paying out £3 million a day not to produce electricity is lunacy in anyone's book.
    Sounds like a ploy straight from the EU playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    What about the sun?
    Not much use,it's rarely seen in Burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Not much use,it's rarely seen in Burnley.
    Yesterday the sun was shining on the Jimmy Mc End, God was in His heaven and the Clarets outfoxed old Rodgers. Nothing better.

I was passing through Lancaster on the M6 yesterday on my way to Hest Bank and noticed two massive new wind turbines going up.. Must be worth it in the long run.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)