+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Match Thread

Liverpool Match Thread

Here we go. Come on you Wonderful Wandeers lets have plenty of that Wonderful and those three points!

For some reason I will be watching the game with my mad Cockatoo perched on my shoulder. Lets hope he brings us some luck.

Good start!! Should have had a tap in there!

Oh well, 1-0 Pool. Off his shoulder but poor marking again in our box.

FFS Doch, should have took that on his chest, had the time. Opened them up beautifully.

Just try and keep it to 1-0 until the half and then reset for second half. Not been bad but there is a lot of space for them to work in and they will eventually profit from it.

Reset successful!! What a goal, back in it. Just don't get too stretched and give it away.

Damn. Really thought we were gonna get the winner late

Inevitable I guess. $hit luck though. 2-1 Liverpool.

I don't think you'll find a club that played Liverpool tougher this year. Both matches felt we deserved more than nothing.

What a night, and what a game. If the neutral didn't enjoy that then they need to start watching another sport. On a mild misty evening both sides produced an outstanding game of football.

You can easily see why Liverpool are top of the World. Their movement is terrific and their passing and composure on the ball is a pleasure to watch. Having said that, we for the most part matched them. Just those small margins of quality separated the two sides.

The visitors started with a swagger but we should have taken the lead in the opening minutes when a cross skidded through their penalty area to Doherty, who failed to make contact. A dubious free kick led to a corner, and the first goal. Too many, it looked as if Salha had run into our player and cleverly conned the referee. The subdued Reds fans suddenly found their voices and a cracking atmosphere was created. Years ago, as a Wolves supporter going one down would have been a death knell, but not to this Wolves team. They just do not know when they are beaten. Half time was reached and we were very much still in it. Liverpool were about to find out they were in for a hard time.

The second forty five started and the come back was certainly on. I can remember in one of my matchday reports back in September, I stated that we must find a place in the team for Traore, but not at wing back. He was being played as an impact sub at the time. What a transformation to now. Defenders all around the country must be having nightmares about having to face him. His pace and trickery had the reds defenders in panic mode every time he was on the ball. Jimenez broke with the ball, slalomed past several Pool players before finding the Spaniard. The after burners turned on and a sublime cross found Jimenez leaping like a stag to power a header into the net.

Game on. For the next twenty minutes or so we battered the European Champions but their class told in the end and a sweet strike sealed it,, The visiting supporters, who must have spent much of the second half biting their finger nails, suddenly found their voice again sensing the three points, when one looked the more likely. Patricio had kept us in the game with two superb saves, while the Liverpool keeper had managed to get a strong hand to a shot from Traore, and his body to stop one from Jimenez.

As the four minute board went up, our sub Jota had a chance to draw the game, having been teed up by our number nine, he conspired to hook the ball over the bar from close range. An effort nine times out of ten he would have buried.

There was relief for the visitors at the end, their fantastic unbeaten run continues, and personally I can't think of a team that can beat them, unless it's Shrewsbury. Having run them so close we did become the first team to score against them in seven matches. A return of zero points from the two games seems harsh in retrospect, but the table doesn't lie. As I said small margins.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    What a night, and what a game. If the neutral didn't enjoy that then they need to start watching another sport. On a mild misty evening both sides produced an outstanding game of football.

You can easily see why Liverpool are top of the World. Their movement is terrific and their passing and composure on the ball is a pleasure to watch. Having said that, we for the most part matched them. Just those small margins of quality separated the two sides.

The visitors started with a swagger but we should have taken the lead in the opening minutes when a cross skidded through their penalty area to Doherty, who failed to make contact. A dubious free kick led to a corner, and the first goal. Too many, it looked as if Salha had run into our player and cleverly conned the referee. The subdued Reds fans suddenly found their voices and a cracking atmosphere was created. Years ago, as a Wolves supporter going one down would have been a death knell, but not to this Wolves team. They just do not know when they are beaten. Half time was reached and we were very much still in it. Liverpool were about to find out they were in for a hard time.

The second forty five started and the come back was certainly on. I can remember in one of my matchday reports back in September, I stated that we must find a place in the team for Traore, but not at wing back. He was being played as an impact sub at the time. What a transformation to now. Defenders all around the country must be having nightmares about having to face him. His pace and trickery had the reds defenders in panic mode every time he was on the ball. Jimenez broke with the ball, slalomed past several Pool players before finding the Spaniard. The after burners turned on and a sublime cross found Jimenez leaping like a stag to power a header into the net.

Game on. For the next twenty minutes or so we battered the European Champions but their class told in the end and a sweet strike sealed it,, The visiting supporters, who must have spent much of the second half biting their finger nails, suddenly found their voice again sensing the three points, when one looked the more likely. Patricio had kept us in the game with two superb saves, while the Liverpool keeper had managed to get a strong hand to a shot from Traore, and his body to stop one from Jimenez.

As the four minute board went up, our sub Jota had a chance to draw the game, having been teed up by our number nine, he conspired to hook the ball over the bar from close range. An effort nine times out of ten he would have buried.

There was relief for the visitors at the end, their fantastic unbeaten run continues, and personally I can't think of a team that can beat them, unless it's Shrewsbury. Having run them so close we did become the first team to score against them in seven matches. A return of zero points from the two games seems harsh in retrospect, but the table doesn't lie. As I said small margins.
    Fine margins indeed Abbo, it was all about quality of finishing in the end if only we were a little more clinical... Jota and Traore both missed gilt edged oppurtunities you described Jotas chance above but Traore had a one on one mid second half where he hit the ball early and scuffed it across goal, he should've carried that two strides further before he had a go, just a little bit more composure required from both.

On the up side we shared possession across the game 47/53 and I would say outplayed them second half. Great performance across the team, Raul was immense as were our defence who played the ball out to feet at every oppurtunity, Traore was just unplayable at times... sometimes defeat isn't all that bad, lots of positives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)