+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many fans support Ashley?

It's a rock and a hard place for many. I do think that Geordie 1974 has got it right re the generational thing. But for many, it is still our team; hence one of those dilemma's that has become a conundrum for many!

It's definitely very complicated. It's like you're saying Ian - a rock and a hard place. But add to that the puzzling feeling that it's still exciting to win a match whilst having mixed feelings about it simultaneously because it means Ashley is also 'winning'. So does one actually want the team to lose for the sake of the club?

It's a tough one. I also agree about the generational argument, it seems plausible to me - however strange it is not caring about who owns the club.

From your question Hughie, 'how many fans support Ashley like Ghost' I don't think it's complicated at all.

Very few.

ok first off - if its a generational thing then (and obviously there are always exceptions to the rule) - you probably have the middle aged people - are the ones who don't go now (geordie 74? )
    - who show their displeasure by staying away - younger ones I can't speak for them whether they care or not - I have no idea.

I would say it could depend on family influences whether they care or not

you just have to walk round the pubs and clubs to see many of the older ones -p like me - are still going. as ive said before i have personal reasons why I cannot give up my own season ticket - but many others often say they've seen worse - they've never been chased away by any of the past horrors and they won't be shoved out now.

and no i don't support ashley - as in I want him gone as much as anyone else - and i don't personally know anyone who feels any different to that.

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    many others often say they've seen worse - they've never been chased away by any of the past horrors and they won't be shoved out now.
    Fair point TL.

I will explain what I mean regards the generation comment.I was talking about an age group of say 30-55 as being more vocal and set in their ways regards not going anymore.I am in that bracket.
    I come to this conclusion because of what I see and hear.The younger fan say 18-30 refuses to stop going as they have a day on the pěss at the game and are not bothered about what goes on higher up other than what is on the pitch.They have only really known Ashley.
    The older generation,they refuse to let Ashley drive them away and a lot go because they spend time with mates,grandkids etc and its precious time and why should they give it up.
    Everyone is different,I cant see another point of view except mine of not giving Ashley anything and staying away.I will never tell anybody not to go though.Do I agree with it,no.If people want to go it's their choice and their money.
    The thing is like I said in last post,NUFC was a massive passion and I would debate and argue for hours and if we lost I was a nightmare to live with.Now though NUFC is an interest and nothing more.If we win great but if we lose it doesnt hit me like it used to.
    In my eyes the club has no direction or identity anymore and one man is to blame Ashley.
    But top and bottom is each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    I will explain what I mean regards the generation comment.I was talking about an age group of say 30-55 as being more vocal and set in their ways regards not going anymore.I am in that bracket.
    I come to this conclusion because of what I see and hear.The younger fan say 18-30 refuses to stop going as they have a day on the pěss at the game and are not bothered about what goes on higher up other than what is on the pitch.They have only really known Ashley.
    The older generation,they refuse to let Ashley drive them away and a lot go because they spend time with mates,grandkids etc and its precious time and why should they give it up.
    Everyone is different,I cant see another point of view except mine of not giving Ashley anything and staying away.I will never tell anybody not to go though.Do I agree with it,no.If people want to go it's their choice and their money.
    The thing is like I said in last post,NUFC was a massive passion and I would debate and argue for hours and if we lost I was a nightmare to live with.Now though NUFC is an interest and nothing more.If we win great but if we lose it doesnt hit me like it used to.
    In my eyes the club has no direction or identity anymore and one man is to blame Ashley.
    But top and bottom is each to their own.
    I wouldn't disagree with any of that

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Thread not started with any intention of starting a fight or any sort of trouble.

Just curious; do you get the impression that a lot (or a big part, whatever that is) of the fans that are still going to matches are in support of Ashley and his way of running the club, like Ghost?

Or are they the same that want him out when we've gotten relegated twice the past 11 years?

I completely understand the dilemma of being against Ashley but still wanting to go, so I'm not judging.

This board is predominantly anti-Ashley and I get the feeling that the majority of the fans feel the same way, but is there a big section that are for him?
    Well I'm going to be contraversial here and say I don't honestly believe even GhostlyWilf genuinely supports Ashley.

Let's face it he would have very little to talk about or get attention from if he wasn't contrary to all just for the kick of it.

I remember when, shortly after Ashley first came and the gloss began to quickly wear off there were quite a few on here willing to want to give him time.

But the number of strokes he has pulled. The number of honest devoted people he has tucked up, just because he was in a position to, and took childish delight from wielding power over them and the number of lies he has constantly been proved to have told.

Not withstanding the fact that he has from the off, bled this club dry of funds and assets along with millions of pounds worth of advertising revenue.

Basically that cretin is an idiot not to see and accept that this club could have been the biggest and most successful part of his empire and he would have been lauded like a god by all of the supporters and people in the area.

He would have earned legitimately more out of the club genuinely by running the club efficiently then he has taken out of it by fleecing it right, left and centre.

i used to back ash and in a way still do but the truth is those that have gone public about buying us would have been a far worse situation in the end
    we are doing a lot better than most predicted this season
    they are doing everything they can to sstimulate the fans and bring back the posativity around the club
    and most fans are not even talking about relegation this season yet last season it was after every game

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    i used to back ash and in a way still do but the truth is those that have gone public about buying us would have been a far worse situation in the end
    we are doing a lot better than most predicted this season
    they are doing everything they can to sstimulate the fans and bring back the posativity around the club
    and most fans are not even talking about relegation this season yet last season it was after every game

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)