+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 38 of 301 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: The Corona Virus

latest News.

Professor Knut Wittkowski

The Numbers.

Dr. Annie Bukacek discusses COVID 19 death certificates

she starts at 1min 50s

I am not a conspiracy theorist unless it is to be unwittingly part of a conspiracy to trap others into believing in conspiracy theories when in fact no such conspiracy exists or indeed to make them doubt all such conspiracies even when they may be true. However a notable turning point in our history was undoubtedly the exposure of the Gunpowder Plot in November 1605 which had it succeeded would not only have wiped out the Houses of Parliament but eliminated the King, the ruling elite and taken a sizeable chunk of inner London with it. I was by chance (or was it just by chance) scrolling through the film channels last night to look for some suitable entertainment during these interminable hours of lockdown when I alighted on the movie V for Vendetta. A very intriguing tale which involves a Fascist party which cements its grip on power by manufacturing a virus which it unleashes on its own populace (blaming terrorists for the outbreak) and then enriching itself by producing the antidote. Alone in this dystopian nightmare V (a previous victim of the regime) plots a terrible revenge against those who have disfigured him and society. People should not be afraid of their Governments he says to a young girl he has rescued from the secret police but rather Governments should be afraid of their people. Well worth watching if you get the chance but I would say that wouldn’t I in order to get you to watch it. Unity is strength.

Morning all!
    I hope we are all bearing up and finding entertaining stuff to do.
    I think the number of people who think the virus is a scam is now very low - after seeing what is actually going on. It is perfectly reasonable to change your mind.
    Similarly, very few people think we should simply let the virus run riot so that we develop herd immunity. For this to work (in the absence of a vaccination) we would need 80 or 90% of the population to catch it, if we compare it to measles. The result would be awful.
    So I fully support the measures that are in place now. China is rapidly re-opening for business as usual, so if we follow their model, it takes about 3 months of doing nowt.
    The quicker a nation gets up and running the better they should do economically. With China making stuff once more they will be in a great position to be able to trade, while other countries are still in lockdown (cue conspiracy theories about it being a Chinese plot).
    Any road, personally I am not missing much. we are lucky enough to have a garden. I feel for people in flats etc who can't get outside very often.
    Chin up!

https://www.healthline.com/health/herd-immunity

"Similarly, very few people think we should simply let the virus run riot so that we develop herd immunity."

They still seem to be trying this approach in Sweden 59, there was some 'expert' on EuroNews this morning predicting they'd come an almighty cropper and would end up like Italy. We'll see.

This can't and won't happen often, but I have to say I agree in general with your views above, but I'm also lucky in that we have a garden to roam in and plenty of countryside on the doorstep, so life goes on very much as before.

On the other hand we were in disagreement about the economic damage this would cause, you were saying we'd soon get over it, I thought it would be catastrophic. I haven't changed my mind about that, have you ?
    Last edited by sinkov; 10-04-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "Similarly, very few people think we should simply let the virus run riot so that we develop herd immunity."

They still seem to be trying this approach in Sweden 59, there was some 'expert' on EuroNews this morning predicting they'd come an almighty cropper and would end up like Italy. We'll see.

This can't and won't happen often, but I have to say I agree in general with your views above, but I'm also lucky in that we have a garden to roam in and plenty of countryside on the doorstep, so life goes on very much as before.

On the other hand we were in disagreement about the economic damage this would cause, you were saying we'd soon get over it, I thought it would be catastrophic. I haven't changed my mind about that, have you ?
    I don't think that the majority of people appreciate what the likely after effects will be both Economic & Social.As far as football is concerned
    it was inevitable that eventually something would happen that would have a dramatic effect on the ridiculous greedy culture that existed at the higher end of football.There was a time when,if your team got relegated from the first division,your thoughts would be that it would be an enjoyable battle to try and get back.Nowadays it is just a case that we have to get back before the parachute payments run out,nothing to do with the football challenge just a financial challenge.Hopefully we come out of this as a better Society even if we are poorer financially.
    Am I being unrealistic?

Aye, Sweden are treating it differently. We can only go off expert advice...perhaps the Swedish experts are better than the others? We will soon find out.
    But I have to say that at the moment I wouldn't fancy going in a busy pub or get on a crowded train.

The economic situation will be interesting. Countries that lift the lockdowns early will have a massive advantage I reckon. They will be producing stuff that the other countries can't...and companies may well stick with the new suppliers in the future.

At the moment China are in pole position and Germany look like getting back in action before most other Western countries. They should be OK.
    It will be a struggle for the rest to catch up. Hopefully the measures that we have put in place will protect a lot of companies and jobs but there are bound to be a lot of casualties.
    And like Barrie, I hope that our society will be better after this after we realise what is really important in our lives. But not every one will change and the greedy buggers will still try to make money at the expense of others. Human nature will soon revert to what it was before I reckon.
    At least our NHS/care workers will be fully recognised for the importance of the role they play and people like bin men, bus drivers etc will be more highly regarded too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Aye, Sweden are treating it differently. We can only go off expert advice...perhaps the Swedish experts are better than the others? We will soon find out.
    But I have to say that at the moment I wouldn't fancy going in a busy pub or get on a crowded train.

The economic situation will be interesting. Countries that lift the lockdowns early will have a massive advantage I reckon. They will be producing stuff that the other countries can't...and companies may well stick with the new suppliers in the future.

At the moment China are in pole position and Germany look like getting back in action before most other Western countries. They should be OK.
    It will be a struggle for the rest to catch up. Hopefully the measures that we have put in place will protect a lot of companies and jobs but there are bound to be a lot of casualties.
    And like Barrie, I hope that our society will be better after this after we realise what is really important in our lives. But not every one will change and the greedy buggers will still try to make money at the expense of others. Human nature will soon revert to what it was before I reckon.
    At least our NHS/care workers will be fully recognised for the importance of the role they play and people like bin men, bus drivers etc will be more highly regarded too.
    You will wake up from this dream soon 59er. Worry not.

What's your take on things BT?

Do you think we'll bounce back?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

Do you think we'll bounce back?

Oh aye, we'll bounce back 59, but it might take as long as it took BFC to bounce from the Orient game to the Premier League.

Page 38 of 301 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)