Michael Sollbauer has signed for Barnsley FC from Wolfsberger AC for an undisclosed fee, after agreeing a deal until 2022, subject to international clearance.

The 29-year-old centre back is our third signing of the January transfer window, following former teammate Marcel Ritzmaier and Germany U20 international, Kilian Ludewig, to Oakwell.

Sollbauer, who has made 238 top flight appearances in Austria’s Bundesliga, also led his former side through their 2019/20 Europa League campaign, facing the likes of AS Roma and Borussia Monchengladbach.

Before leaving the Austrian outfit, Barnsley’s newest recruit had been an ever present in a side that sit fourth in the Austrian top flight.

Reds Head Coach, Gerhard Struber is delighted to welcome his former skipper to South Yorkshire: “I know a lot about Michael and he will be great for the team. He is exactly the player we need. He has been captain at Wolfsberger AC for a long time and has plenty of first team experience at a good level.

“It was important for me to have experience and to add to our defence in this window. I am very happy that Michael is here in Barnsley and I know he will be a positive impact and help us over the next weeks.”

Barnsley FC’s Chief Executive Officer, Dane Murphy, was just as pleased after securing the services of Sollbauer.

“The club are delighted to have completed the purchase of Michael Sollbauer and are excited to see him in a red shirt. As a player and a leader, Michael embodies the qualities that will instantly impact on the first team squad.

“Having worked under Gerhard previously, he arrives with a wealth of knowledge and understanding of what it takes to win games.”