+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand now?

Where do you stand now?

I said that if the owners deviated from the plan of signing just kids and showed they wanted to stay in the Championship I would start to watch games again!
    They have now signed a 26 & a 29 year old to bolster the team which should have been done a lot earlier than it has been and although the signings don’t fill me with massive optimism it is much better than it was?
    I am holding fire until the window shuts but if our star assets remain my first game of the season will be the game against the pigs!
    Where do you stand now?

They pressed the panic button in exactly the same way in Jan 2018 when threatened with relegation and brought in loans and older players. Hopefully Struber fares better than Morais but I fear he is a one trick pony and his new manager bounce is over. Bringing in Struber's old lags who hacked it in the Austrian leagues is a big risk as the Championship may be a step too far for them. I was looking for Championship experienced players but Austrians are cheaper.
    Nowt to excite me at the moment and I still fear a late window sale next week.

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    I said that if the owners deviated from the plan of signing just kids and showed they wanted to stay in the Championship I would start to watch games again!
    They have now signed a 26 & a 29 year old to bolster the team which should have been done a lot earlier than it has been and although the signings don’t fill me with massive optimism it is much better than it was?
    I am holding fire until the window shuts but if our star assets remain my first game of the season will be the game against the pigs!
    Where do you stand now?
    Pretty much in agreement Perky. I feel exactly like I did before Christmas in 2015 under Johnson. Even when we were getting beat the football was good and the effort was there. 17 games is enough to sort it out. The fixtures are kinder barring the last three. So it's 7 wins from the next 14 for me.

Even Struber was criticising the players body language and lack of effort in the Preston game.

Surely "effort" is the minimum required, a given, for any team at any level.

Even adding Struber's old lags I don't think, in my opinion, there is the quality and relevant experience there to stay up. Shafted by poor recruitment where potential profit counted for more than success on the field.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 24-01-2020 at 11:53 AM.

I stand where I always stand. Shrouded in a mist of realistic optimism. Tuesday was utter ****e and a real disappointment BUT that is because I've started to be able to expect a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Even Struber was criticising the players body language and lack of effort in the Preston game.

Surely "effort" is the minimum required, a given, for any team at any level.

Even adding Struber's old lags I don't think, in my opinion, there is the quality and relevant experience there to stay up. Shafted by poor recruitment where potential profit counted for more than success on the field.
    Humbug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Humbug.

Uncle Joe's Mint Balls

It's mistakes that Ave cost us, elimentary daft ones that get replicated over and over with little learning from them occurring. I'll be there tomorrow and let's hope the other night was a freak result.

Quote Originally Posted by bankendbfc View Post
    It's mistakes that Ave cost us, elimentary daft ones that get replicated over and over with little learning from them occurring. I'll be there tomorrow and let's hope the other night was a freak result.
    We've had 15 "one offs" so far this season in the Championship.

A pattern is emerging.

(7 defeats under Stendel, 8 defeats since we separated from him--we can't keep on blaming Stendel-- three "one-off" defeats in last four games)
    Last edited by SBRed48; 24-01-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Can't argue with what you are saying, I think it's because there has been a marked difference in the games running up to Tuesdays debacle that's kidded us on a bit. Tho as you quite rightly point out, the sheer volume of huge glaring errors means we got no right to even contemplate staying in this division. In between these shockers we play half decent but that's no good when the next huge clanger is hovering like the sword o flamin damicles, ready to give away the points once again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast