+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best CB pairing

Best CB pairing

Seeing this discussed on a few threads and other places and feels it deserves it's own thread for discussion.

Forgetting anything to do with yesterdays match my pairing is Watson and Reynolds.

As i stated on the Mark Connolly thread by Gunboat i like him with his fight and determination but i don't rate him. I feel Watson and Reynolds are much better as the clean sheet/unbeaten run has shown (granted we're still undefeated fae October or something and Connolly has played the last 3)

I think RN prefers Connolly and couldnt wait to get him back, this kinda worries me...

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Seeing this discussed on a few threads and other places and feels it deserves it's own thread for discussion.

Forgetting anything to do with yesterdays match my pairing is Watson and Reynolds.

As i stated on the Mark Connolly thread by Gunboat i like him with his fight and determination but i don't rate him. I feel Watson and Reynolds are much better as the clean sheet/unbeaten run has shown (granted we're still undefeated fae October or something and Connolly has played the last 3)

I think RN prefers Connolly and couldnt wait to get him back, this kinda worries me...
    Still unbeaten at home in the league and was feeling comfortable with the defence until yesterday. All the early season fear was back early doors as Connolly seemed to be in superhero mode! I think we look best defensively with Watson on the right and any of the other 2 on the left. I think yesterday was just giving Watson a rest as i think he is carrying a wee injury as he has been getting taken off most games.

As i stated on the Mark Connolly thread by Gunboat i like him with his fight and determination but i don't rate him. I feel Watson and Reynolds are much better as the clean sheet/unbeaten run has shown (granted we're still undefeated fae October or something and Connolly has played the last 3.

Agree Watson and Reynolds for me too for the same reason. Connelly great back up. Bt for the remainder of the season would go for these two.

I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt and say that Watson was out of the line up yesterday with Tuesday in mind (he did come off early at Thistle remember) but otherwise Connolly has only gotten back in because Reynolds couldn’t play on plastic at QOS and then Robson was out v. Thistle. Otherwise if all fit and available our best back four is Robson, Watson, Reynolds and Smith. Mucking about with a settled and proven defence is mental - it is the one area of the team you definitely don’t want to ar@e about with.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post

We have been beaten 3 times in the league. Connelly wasn’t playing in any of them.(Reynolds/Brown).
    I don’t think there is much to choose between them, but do think we are best with Watson on the right side of a central 2 with one of them. If I have a concern with Reynolds, its that at 32, he is beginning to lose his pace, which was one of his main attributes earlier in his career.
    Overall, our defence has been decent, conceding only 17 goals in the league (7 of those conceded when Brown playing).

Juts to add to that when Brown was playing we also had Smith at LB. *Shudder*

Apart from the free header that Morton scored from the CB's didn't have much to do defensively yesterday so hard to judge them. Watson & Reynolds the best pairing for me too but we'll need Connolly for Hibs on Tuesday as he's a wee bit more mobile than Reynolds. Still don't think any of the 3 of them are good enough for the step up next season and didn't we give Reynolds a 3 year contract

No idea tbh. Watson and one of the other two. Connolly is so rash at times, but puts his head where others won't. Reynolds is slow & prone to a hoof.

Think you also need to look at who is in front of the defence. Although I prefer Watson & Reynolds I als think musing Butcher in front of them takes a bit away

In current form I'd say Watson and Connelly. As much as I like Reynolds there does seem to be more 'crab' football going on when he's in the team. Having Connelly as the left centre half is better too as it stops a lot of his attempted 60 yard passes as he's usually on his wrong foot and then plays it simple to the midfield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)