+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your ultimate nightmare Notts County game

Your ultimate nightmare Notts County game

Back in 2013, I think 17th Sep, I had to drop off a machine (the size of a sofa) in central London near Victoria. I checked the fixture list and saw Notts County were playing Orient away. Perfect! combine business with pleasure.

I borrowed an old van and set off and by 5.30pm was well past Luton, all looking good.

First sign of trouble was towards the end of the M1, things snarled up. Before I knew it, I was creeping into North London at about 5mph.

The old van started overheating, but I remembered the old trick to - turn on all the interior heating, as it brings the engine temperature down.

By 7pm, red as a beetroot I arrived in central London and tried to deliver the machine. Everybody had gone home, but still time to get to the match, I struggled to push the machine over a spiked fence, in the final push I heard a rip. The back of the arse in my jeans had a huge hole in them.

I finally arrived after more traffic problems, at the orient ground about 8.45pm. I couldn't get in and had to plead with a steward to let me in, despite my trousers hanging off by a thread. I then found out Notts were losing 4-0.

The second half wasn't bad, and a Mr Jack Grealish was looking fantastic playing with his socks down. I ended up back in Nottingham about 1am. I was hungry, tired, devastated by the result, but thought at least I had seen some skill from a new young player. A nightmare match but some positives! I would love to hear your worst experience following Notts.

PS I think this is the link for the match

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/24028010

My car broke down on the way to Notts v Leicester, coming from Leeds. Ring the AA up who claim they’d be half an hour which slowly turns into 3 hours. The problem was fixed within 15 minutes when the bloke eventually showed up but of course I’d missed the game.

The result? Notts 4 Leicester 1

Funnily enough the same car caught fire on the way back from the Sir Charlie Palmer Forest game. If I’d missed that one I think I would have been ringing the Samaritans rather than the AA.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    Back in 2013, I think 17th Sep, I had to drop off a machine (the size of a sofa) in central London near Victoria. I checked the fixture list and saw Notts County were playing Orient away. Perfect! combine business with pleasure.

I borrowed an old van and set off and by 5.30pm was well past Luton, all looking good.

First sign of trouble was towards the end of the M1, things snarled up. Before I knew it, I was creeping into North London at about 5mph.

The old van started overheating, but I remembered the old trick to - turn on all the interior heating, as it brings the engine temperature down.

By 7pm, red as a beetroot I arrived in central London and tried to deliver the machine. Everybody had gone home, but still time to get to the match, I struggled to push the machine over a spiked fence, in the final push I heard a rip. The back of the arse in my jeans had a huge hole in them.

I finally arrived after more traffic problems, at the orient ground about 8.45pm. I couldn't get in and had to plead with a steward to let me in, despite my trousers hanging off by a thread. I then found out Notts were losing 4-0.

The second half wasn't bad, and a Mr Jack Grealish was looking fantastic playing with his socks down. I ended up back in Nottingham about 1am. I was hungry, tired, devastated by the result, but thought at least I had seen some skill from a new young player. A nightmare match but some positives! I would love to hear your worst experience following Notts.

PS I think this is the link for the match

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/24028010
    You might get a few more replies latter Thai. I remember breaking my neck trying to get back from Portsmouth , including being stuck on the train outside Waterloo for over 4 hours only to find the game had been postponed when I eventually got home. Bugger if I can remember who we were supposed to be playing.

Two come to mind.

Firstly one I never saw. Wimbledon away (FA Cup) at Selhurst Park. Got seriously lost. No SatNav those days and ask a "local" who sent us 10 miles the wrong way.
    When eventually someone told us the right way I got a flat and had no spare!

The other was as a kid Leicester away filbert Street. Lost 2-1 if I remember but home fans had to walk behind away doors and were trying the break them down. I was petrified

Colchester away, sometime in the early 2000s I guess. Drove to Layer Road from home in West London, missed the pre-match beer at a lovely seaside pub (Clackton-on-Sea?), we conceded a penalty late on to lose 2-1 (thanks, Richard Holmes) and then the exhaust falls off the car just outside of Colchester on the A12, just as the rain starts. Wait 90 minutes for a tow truck to get me and the car back to London. But at least my jeans were intact.

Also remember seeing us get thumped 3-0 at Wycombe in 2003, getting back to the car and then the news coming in about the space shuttle Columbia blowing up upon reentry.

I know my brothers and it was my fault.
    I was driving along London road to the Notts man Utd game when I spotted my brother walking to the ground around 2 30, so I stopped to give him a lift, anyway by the time I found somewhere to park the turnstiles had been closed the ground was full. He went off home in a huff but I managed to get a ticket off a tout so got in just after Tommy Johnson put us one up from the spot.

...and a Mr Jack Grealish was looking fantastic playing with his socks down..

He still does, I thought there were are rules against that.

Notts 0 - 5 Macclesfield

Doesn't need much explaining really!

On the opening day of the 2003/04 season Notts were away at Bristol City. It was the 9th August so was a nice sunny summers day to take a trip down the M42 and M5. However little did we know that there was a Balloon Festival in Bristol that weekend. So with two hours to go until kick off we got stuck on the M5 in traffic around Bristol. Back then there were no Sat Navs or IPhones so trying to find the ground was a nightmare as well, and in the end somewhere in Bristol at 3:30pm we gave up. So headed back to Michael Wood Services on the M5 where there were a number of Notts fans there who also had abandoned their attempt to get to the ground.

What followed at the ground and listening on the radio was a 5-0 thumping by Bristol City and a long trip back to Nottingham.

0-0 bore draw v L Orient on a Tuesday night, was on holiday in Caistor in Norfolk 2 of us had a mad idea to come to the match 3.30am I got back in the caravan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast