+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Peterborough United Post Match Thoughts

Just got back (to Guildford not San Francisco; that would have taken a bit longer...)

The biggest disappointment for me was Wiles in midfield. He is much more useful at full back and I think I would have preferred to bring on Lindsey to break up play and add a bit of coherence and forward drive. Substitutions were too late though I can understand the dilemma Warne faced since we were getting the measure of them in the last ten of the first half so do you persevere or change it up? The latter would have been the better option - but that's with hindsight.

Though he didn't quite have the game he'd had in the previous weeks, I still thought Barlasser was our stand out player in an indifferent squad.

Peterborough were nothing special but they had done their homework on us. Ogbene was well contained.

The ref left me with my head in my hands on several occasions with his decisions but all one can say is that Peterborough knew how to play to his preferences and we didn't - particularly their number 15. I'm not saying that's the right way to play football but it can get you results.

Overall not too disheartened. The other two games I saw were magic so this seemed a bit lame in comparison - but by no means shocking. We had some good moments. Had their goalie not pulled off that miracle save, we would have had a point - and felt pretty happy for it.

To the **** who threw the bottle, you're pathetic. All it did was soak a fellow fan's trousers (ie mine...)

I didn't realise until today when I was shown, me, Brin and CF64 were in the Bristol Rovers program last week (a photo at the Oxford game.) What was the name of that Spaghetti Western!!
    Last edited by CTMilller; 25-01-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Just got back (to Guildford not San Francisco; that would have taken a bit longer...)

The biggest disappointment for me was Wiles in midfield. He is much more useful at full back and I think I would have preferred to bring on Lindsey to break up play and add a bit of coherence and forward drive. Substitutions were too late though I can understand the dilemma Warne faced since we were getting the measure of them in the last ten of the first half so do you persevere or change it up? The latter would have been the better option - but that's with hindsight.

Though he didn't quite have the game he'd had in the previous weeks, I still thought Barlasser was our stand out player in an indifferent squad.

Peterborough were nothing special but they had done their homework on us. Ogbene was well contained.

The ref left me with my head in my hands on several occasions with his decisions but all one can say is that Peterborough knew how to play to his preferences and we didn't - particularly their number 15. I'm not saying that's the right way to play football but it can get you results.

Overall not too disheartened. The other two games I saw were magic so this seemed a bit lame in comparison - but by no means shocking. We had some good moments. Had their goalie not pulled off that miracle save, we would have had a point - and felt pretty happy for it.

To the **** who threw the bottle, you're pathetic. All it did was soak a fellow fan's trousers (ie mine...)

I didn't realise until today when I was shown, me, Brin and CF64 were in the Bristol Rovers program last week (a photo at the Oxford game.) What was the name of that Spaghetti Western!!
    It shows that a slight change can have an effect on another players game.
    Be hopes it wasn’t piss in the bottle

Warney has got to have players switched on from the first min. How many times have we conceded or nearly conceded in the first few mins? Two sloppy defensive errors for their goals down the right side. We showed a bit of fighting spirit then. I was surprised how bad we were in the air against their small but admittedly nippy forwards. I thought we could get back in the game but they always looked dangerous on the break.

Ref was crap missing a stone wall pen in the last min and consistently falling for their diving antics particularly when we had them under the cosh in the second half.. Like father like son Mr Ferguson.

Think we missed the drive and energy of big tree today.Lets hope he is back on Tues.

Overall we should have had a draw

MOMs: Smith, Barlaser, Iekwe, Wood.

Good turn out of millers fans who got behind team well. Their seating and bogs were shyte.

https://twitter.com/red6sportsmgt/st...56374568165377

Pen? I think that looked even worse than in real time the defender seemed to swipe at the ball with his arm.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 25-01-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    https://twitter.com/red6sportsmgt/st...56374568165377

Pen? I think that looked even worse than in real time the defender seemed to swipe at the ball with his arm.
    I thought outside the box and still do

Even if he did it was still a free kick in a dangerous position.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I thought outside the box and still do
    Interesting point MT and you could be right, but however anyone sees it it's definitely not a corner.

It is usual in the league to play a team at home in December and then away in January?

Surely there should be a bigger gap?

Quote Originally Posted by jakethemiller View Post
    Bitterly disappointing defeat. 2 poor goals conceded early killed us. Oggy at fault for first should have cleared it but fluffed his lines. Good move for their second made easier by Olosunde selling himself and getting caught out.
    I thought Toney and the little guy up front caused us a few problems but overall we were worth at least a point although we didn't create enough chances. Too much long ball again today and missed Crooks he has been the catalyst in the winning run, Wiles and Barlaser are too light in the middle.
    Iversen. I think he could have done better for both goals.
    Olosunde. By trying to close players down he's often over committing himself.
    Mattock. I've often spoken in his favour, especially last year when he had a good season but to me he didn't seem bothered today made mistakes and wasted a lot of ball.
    Ihiekwe. Lovely goal and solid performance against a good forward line.
    Wood. As above apart from goal.
    Wiles. Tried hard and didn't waste as much ball as he usually does.
    Barlaser. Not as effective as last few weeks, probably due not having Crooks at the side of him.
    Ogbene. At fault for first goal and didn't really get going today but he didn't have the same service.
    Adelakun. Lovely long shot in first half other than that didn't do a lot.
    Smith. Didn't win much today but brought the save of the match from their keeper
    Ladapo. Didn't cause them enough problems, this was his chance to shine and he didn't take it.
    Although I wouldn't blame the ref for the defeat but he was poor again.
    Agree with much of this Jake. Frustrating and annoying. Millers fans optimistic at the start with some in the pub that I spoke to before the game thinking it was in the bag. For those of us that have been following the Millers for 40+ years, this is always a worry. But anyhow, that buoyant mood was taken onto the ground and we started with great vibrancy.

For 2 minutes. And 2 corners, the 2nd of which finding us on retreat with Ogbene pants down like a 14 year old in the premiership. We didn't really see much from him again sadly. Peterborough's strikers were dangerous throughout the 1st half. The defense less so, and I always felt we had a chance of pulling it back in the 2nd half but it wasn't to be. Crooks was a huge loss. His spidery limbs and quick switch of plays is a massive factor in how we have moved forward and to lose him was a huge blow. Wiles in his place is like a kid for a grown up, very talented, lots to offer but not able to impose himself in a game of grown ups. Lots to come from him in the right formation but he's clearly not Crooks, and it showed.

Always felt we had it in us to get a draw but most likely would only get it from set pieces. And Peterborough did just enough to keep us out on those. Our loss of Crooks and bringing back Mattock, reverting Wiles to midfield was always going to be an adjustment and Peterborough seized it well. If they plug their defense, and keep their forward line going they will be right up there at the end.

Had a good view of the 'handball' - it hit his hand bit didn't seem like his arm was out from his body from my angle so didn't expect it to be given.

Lamy looked threatening when he came on. Hope he'll be an asset - and I will carry gru on shoulders in a a lap around town if he wins us the league. Unless he's a porker which I suspect might be the case...
    Last edited by ragingpup; 25-01-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post

I'll take the 'Good' position please.... Very frustrating tactics by Warne like you say and yes the idiot who threw the bottle wants banning for life! The Ref today gave them anything they wanted....I'm saying no more on the game or our players as it's already been covered by many.

Great pleasure meeting up with you again my friend. Have a safe journey home, chat soon.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast