+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best CB pairing

Quote Originally Posted by skarne1 View Post
    Think you also need to look at who is in front of the defence. Although I prefer Watson & Reynolds I als think musing Butcher in front of them takes a bit away
    Good point.......

I don't mind who plays between Connelly and Reynolds as long as Watson is in there, they both have plus and negative points but Watson without being gung-ho is pretty steady and will stick his head in where it hurts.

Do agree when Butcher is in midfield and sometimes playing deep, he adds a wee bit extra protection in there.

I'd say either combo is good but this season the best has been Watson/Reynolds and more recently Watson/Connolly was fine

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Good point.......

I don't mind who plays between Connelly and Reynolds as long as Watson is in there, they both have plus and negative points but Watson without being gung-ho is pretty steady and will stick his head in where it hurts.

Do agree when Butcher is in midfield and sometimes playing deep, he adds a wee bit extra protection in there.
    Connelly is a bombscare team looks far better when he dosen't play Watson and Reynolds for me every day

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    In current form I'd say Watson and Connelly. As much as I like Reynolds there does seem to be more 'crab' football going on when he's in the team. Having Connelly as the left centre half is better too as it stops a lot of his attempted 60 yard passes as he's usually on his wrong foot and then plays it simple to the midfield.
    Thats a damn good point at the end there Terry! Saw it yesterday to the detriment of our play.

One thing i noticed in the Hibs game about Watson, after Hibs opened the scoring, Connolly was having his usual meltdown at everyone. Watson having just missed the block in front of goal wasnt having it and deflected the shots back at him. The discussion went on for a few minutes until we had a set piece at their box where Butch had to step in and Connolly backed down! Reynolds for me doesnt stand his ground enough and allows Connolly to keep shouting, allowing his discipline to slip and the rash play comes in. Watson not standing for that keeps Connolly calm and in check, and as seen recently, Connolly is quite steady.

Generally I'd say Watson and Reynolds are the best combo but I'd go with Connolly instead of Reynolds on Tuesday, purely because Reynolds' lack of pace could be a problem against a pretty nippy, mobile Hibs team.

Reynolds is the fastest runner of the three if its about pace so not sure that would come into it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)