+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Orient

Orient

I've seen this as a certain 3 points for us, a thought pattern I've always thought as dangerous🙂.
    However, the Alex have looked tired in the last 4 games. Perhaps if Charlie is playing, he'll be smarting from missing out on Saturday and actually turn up for more than 5 minutes.
    Does anyone think that a change of formation would reinvigorate things? Perhaps we could adopt a 'box' as Scunny did in the first half or a diamond. Any thoughts?
    I want us to win by a few goals but I suspect that, until Spring comes, it's not going to happen for a while.

We are running almost on empty at the moment , we have no back up for our CH's or our forward. We nearly always start with the same 11 and also use the same 3 subs. The squad is large but lacking in players who can step up and help continue our position near the top of the league.If we were lower down the table the manager would be using fringe players to give them game time but with the position we are in he cannot afford this as promotion is within our grasp. I would like to see two new players come in the help ease the pressure on our small constantly playing squad. A 3-0 home win on Tuesday

Dave has probably left it too long to give Charlie and Green a rest, especially as Callum and Ollie have, by all accounts, looked lively since playing. Powell has also played his best football for us since taking Owen’s place a couple of months back. With Porter closer to a return things aren’t too gloomy.

I’m not too concerned, although another CB would help I think, but I’m sure the management are looking forward to February when we only have one Tuesday fixture and, apart from a long trip to Plymouth, they all look winnable, as does this evening’s match. We may even get that rarity, a clean sheet, tonight so I’m optimistically saying 2-0.

Well that was absolutelybloodyawful. But we won. Definitely a game of two goalkeepers. There's was decidedly dodgy in the first half and Will kept us in it.
    Others worthy of mention: Offord did well enough but succumbed to the curse of the CH with what looked like thigh strain; Powell worked very hard and finally got his reward; Wintle was the other pick of the bunch being calm and cool intercepting and pushing forward into space. Turkeys: Anene wins the big prize being 2 seconds behind everybody else; Perry couldn't find a pass or trap a ball or beat a man.
    Charlie was great.....for 15 minutes!
    Ainley and Lowery made a difference for the last 10 minutes.
    It's worrying that we seem to be in a little rut- a completely different team to the one we witnessed in the first 3 months of the season. What's to be done?
    One brightish point - Offord looks useful.

Makes a nice change to win when playing badly! I disagree about Wintle - ironically MotM when he played as poorly as he has done for weeks; I’ve never seen him misplace so many passes, and yet he wasn’t the worst man in red by any stretch. Perry was poor, Nottingham panicky and Green took on Lowery’s role (copyright lukcour) as headless chicken! Powell and Anene worked hard, but it wasn’t Chuma’s night and Powell, as you said, was rewarded for his persistence by hitting one through the keeper.

Pluses? Definitely Offord, who looked calm and composed,you’d never have thought it was his debut. Pixie was fine, and Finney showed a lot of ability and pace, particularly in the first half. As gazan said, the subs made a difference, by retaining possession and passing to a man in red, neither of which seemed to be a high priority for The first 75 minutes. Oh, and Jaaskaleinen, who should now be enjoying the MotM champers.

Agree, keeper MoM for me. Even a half fit Lowery made a massive difference. And nice to see James Jones on the pitch, who I thought did ok for his 20? Mins. Good to see Powell on the scoresheet again spreading the goals around a bit.
    After an impressive debut, I thought Nottingham was poor again in his distribution. Can understand why he hasn't made it a higher level.

We started of brightly in this match and for about the first 15 minutes or so I thought we would score more goals then they got back into the game and we retreated backwards. It was a combination of poor decision making , short passes going to the opposition and then hitting hopeful long balls down the pitch which did not find a player in red. This continued well into the second half and Orient really had the upper hand and if it was not for our keeper and better finishing they would have been in the lead. Chumma looked as if he was carrying an injury or completely worn out by all the recent games and offered us very little up front but who could replace him ? I watched Dave Artel during the second half and he seemed resigned to the play we were playing and sat on the hoardings rather than be on the edge of his box issuing / shouting instructions to the players. We cannot continue to play like this and were lucky to get away with a 2-0 win and a clean sheet.I thought the back 4 played well but were under pressure by our midfield allowing them to push us back and not dominate them . I would have possibly sacrificed Chumma and put another midfielder on to shake things up and make the opposition think a bit as we were to predictable for the whole 90 minutes .

Chuma was carrying an injury for most of the game with absolutely no one on the bench to replace him with. Worth mentioning Charlie and the goal, credit where credit is due, he followed the ball in back to the goalkeeper and could have just as easily turned the other way and retreated. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    We started of brightly in this match and for about the first 15 minutes or so I thought we would score more goals then they got back into the game and we retreated backwards. It was a combination of poor decision making , short passes going to the opposition and then hitting hopeful long balls down the pitch which did not find a player in red. This continued well into the second half and Orient really had the upper hand and if it was not for our keeper and better finishing they would have been in the lead. Chumma looked as if he was carrying an injury or completely worn out by all the recent games and offered us very little up front but who could replace him ? I watched Dave Artel during the second half and he seemed resigned to the play we were playing and sat on the hoardings rather than be on the edge of his box issuing / shouting instructions to the players. We cannot continue to play like this and were lucky to get away with a 2-0 win and a clean sheet.I thought the back 4 played well but were under pressure by our midfield allowing them to push us back and not dominate them . I would have possibly sacrificed Chumma and put another midfielder on to shake things up and make the opposition think a bit as we were to predictable for the whole 90 minutes .
    Yes, Anene was carrying an injury (I found this out subsequently). During the match I thought he looked out on his feet, but now we know why. I suppose Powell could have been used in the middle as a CF. He has played there at Northampton.

I will attempt to give a balanced viewpoint.... The three points are very welcome. Sadly, the performance was below our usual standard (as also noted by our manager), with the opposition really testing us fully and not deserving to lose. Leyton Orient are one of the better outfits to visit Gresty Road this season and I cannot understand why they are in the lower regions of the league. Quicker to the ball and unlucky not to hit the back of the net. Thankfully, our keeper once again pulled off some excellent saves. Play badly and end up winning, is the mark of a team who are making good progress. Other results went for us last night and even the Vale did us a huge favour. Watch out for the Cobblers and Colchester though. Hot on our heels. Up the Alex.