+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Best Drummer Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

Best drummer ever would be the human metronome Jackie Leibezeit of Can,
    Good shout. Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown's drummer) for me.

Obviously there's no such thing as 'the best' so mentions for Bonham, Moon, Baker and Hal Blaine out of The Wrecking Crew
    who played on about 50 number 1s, including all of the Phil Spector stuff.

Cadbury's Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Lennon never said that. It was a joke written by Geoffrey Perkins for a BBC radio comedy programme circa 1981 which Jasper Carrot then repeated in his TV series a few years later and it went viral. Ringo was a perfectly good drummer but his persona as presented in the first movie they made (and the appalling US Cartoon which never got shown here in the Midlands but did in other ITV regions) popularized the perception that he was a plodding clueless buffoon.

Best drummer ever would be the human metronome Jackie Leibezeit of Can,
    Ah thanks for clearing that up, I remember hearing the quote, put 2+2 together and got 5 then!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Good shout. Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown's drummer) for me.

Obviously there's no such thing as 'the best' so mentions for Bonham, Moon, Baker and Hal Blaine out of The Wrecking Crew
    who played on about 50 number 1s, including all of the Phil Spector stuff.
    Hal Blaine is a good shout.

Some great shouts so far, looks like I have an appointment with youtube later this evening!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I think it was John Lennon who when asked if Ringo Star was the best drummer in the world replied "He's not even the best drummer in the band!"
    As stated elsewhere this isn't quite accurate. However I do recall many years ago hearing, on the radio I think, how, when the Beatles were in the USA, Ringo had wanted to pick up some of the Jazz/Blues rhythms and spent some time with a drummer at a club but struggled.

Of course pop bands don't need "the best drummer in the world".

I have vague memories of a fairly impressive drum solo from the drummer of the Roulettes when Adam Faith (and my heartthrob Susan Maughan) came to the Theatre Royal on the early '60's.

The Beatles were together in a London nightclub popular with the famous in the '60s, when Keith Moon came to their table and asked if he could join them, "yeah, sit down" one of them said, "No, I mean I want to join your band, be the drummer" said Moon, "We've got a drummer", snarled Ringo. Moon shuffled off.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    As stated elsewhere this isn't quite accurate. However I do recall many years ago hearing, on the radio I think, how, when the Beatles were in the USA, Ringo had wanted to pick up some of the Jazz/Blues rhythms and spent some time with a drummer at a club but struggled.
    Session drummer Bernard Purdie now goes around claiming that he played drums on The Beatles records, but in fact he was only brought in to overdub some pre-Ringo recordings that the other three Beatles plus Pete Best had made with Tony Sheridan that Polydor owned and were hoping to cash in on when The Beatles made it big in the USA, Purdie also later played drums on The Bee Gees best forgotten "Sgt Pepper" movie soundtrack which probably fogs his memory further.

Tony Sheridan incidentally was the first man ever to be seen on British television playing an electric guitar whilst singing at the same time when he appeared on "Oh boy!".

Neil Peart, who sadly died recently.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    The Beatles were together in a London nightclub popular with the famous in the '60s, when Keith Moon came to their table and asked if he could join them, "yeah, sit down" one of them said, "No, I mean I want to join your band, be the drummer" said Moon, "We've got a drummer", snarled Ringo. Moon shuffled off.
    Keith Moon did some very weird and wonderful if not ridiculous stuff. One of the funniest when he passed out on stage at a gig in the US after taking horse tranquilizers and a fan had to take his place on the drums for the rest of the set.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast