+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Best Drummer Ever?

OT: Best Drummer Ever?

I think it was John Lennon who when asked if Ringo Star was the best drummer in the world replied "He's not even the best drummer in the band!"

I'm a bit biased when it comes to drummers as I am a big fan of The Who so Keith Moon (The Loon) all day long for me. https://youtu.be/O5Up-qHTJdY

Try and ignore the ridiculous out of context audience participation in the linked video!

Filthy Taylor

Cosy Powell...

John Bonham

Sandy Nelson

Gene Krupa USA

Jack Parnell UK

Proper drummers with the big swing bands like Glenn Miller etc.

Art Blakey.

Joe Morello.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I think it was John Lennon who when asked if Ringo Star was the best drummer in the world replied "He's not even the best drummer in the band!"!
    Lennon never said that. It was a joke written by Geoffrey Perkins for a BBC radio comedy programme circa 1981 which Jasper Carrot then repeated in his TV series a few years later and it went viral. Ringo was a perfectly good drummer but his persona as presented in the first movie they made (and the appalling US Cartoon which never got shown here in the Midlands but did in other ITV regions) popularized the perception that he was a plodding clueless buffoon.

Best drummer ever would be the human metronome Jackie Leibezeit of Can,

Ginger Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Ginger Baker
    I'd put him 2nd,. He had absolute contempt for John Bonham. "What I don’t like is the heavy bish-bash, jing-bap, jing-bash bull**** He wasn't anywhere near what I am. He wasn’t a musician."
    But then he'd always insist that Cream were not a rock group but a jazz band.

Have to mention Ziggy Modeliste of The Meters as well who practically invented funk.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast