+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Few thoughts a after tonight and recent games

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Don't get the OP's dislike of Powers at all. They guy was immense tonight. Everything we did went through him. He's classy, keeps the ball & plays the right passes.

Tonight was one man's fault and one man only. Robbie Neilson. As with the first match, an alien formation with three centre mids. His favourites keeping their place in the team again!! So disappointed with how we set up tonight.
    Spot on. Harkes Pawlett and Reynolds should not have started. Glass Watson and McMullen should have. Powers was good tonight and hardly wasted a pass. The 3 that shouldn't have started and the full backs were not good. We should have gone for them after went 1 up not stood off them. Still a lot of work needed for next season assuming we dont blow it.

I think Shedka sees Powers as a threat to his beloved Butcher who constantly gives away fouls and now a stupid penalty. For me Powers is a far better footballer and is more level headed and certainly less erratic and once he picks up the pace of the Scottish game he'll end up being a decent signing for us.

Powers was United's best player tonight. By a mile. He oozed class.

Powers was very good tonight and Watson is not fully fit.

We need 2 CB's, a creative mid, a winger and a striker as a minimum if we're going to compete at a decent level next season.
    That's five in, I know 4 at least that I could do without.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    We need 2 CB's, a creative mid, a winger and a striker as a minimum if we're going to compete at a decent level next season.
    That's five in, I know 4 at least that I could do without.
    Yip. Players I'd definitely keep:

Siegrist
    Butcher
    Powers
    Appere
    Shankland

Smith & Sporle I'd also like to see how they get on.

The rest, I'm really not bothered about/don't think they can make the step up.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Yip. Players I'd definitely keep:

Siegrist
    Butcher
    Powers
    Appere
    Shankland

Smith & Sporle I'd also like to see how they get on.

The rest, I'm really not bothered about/don't think they can make the step up.
    Ye I agree with this but I’d keep robson and smith as we can develop them hopefully but as for pawlett getting a unless he’s deed really bugs me.Ye use him from the bench but he’s never looked fit to be a starter but hopefully him and sow already know it’s over for them here and being honest if we’re ditching our best center half what does that say for the other 2,I’d work with Connolly but ffs bench Reynolds and use for back up when necessary.I know glass is really young but ffs Robbie he’d of drove at the hivs defence.Anyway as I’ve said before we still need major investment if were gonna challenge for Europe 🧡🖤❤️

Robson really needs to up his game based on last night. He had absolute nightmare, as did Smith. Both I wouldn't lose sleep over leaving tbh. Hibs aren't even that great but they cut us open so easily. The gaps down the flanks were frightening at times.

Connolly & Reynolds both have to go. Simply not good enough for that level. Pawletts finished. Sow's never started.

Massive learning curve.

However, the biggest thing from last night is the manager. He HAS to start learning by his mistakes.

Using another alien formation that we DO NOT play. Same as we did the first game.
    Using three centre mids.
    Setting us up to play the way did then CONTINUING to play so defensively after half time. There was no way we're going to be able to defend for 90 minutes.
    Playing Pawlett.
    Playing Sow.
    Playing Connolly & Reynolds together.

The manager lost us that cup tie over the two legs.

Baffled by the Powers negativity. Had a Hibs player not scored a hat-trick he’d have been the best player on the park last night. With a pre-season under his belt he’s going to be a fantastic addition.

Robson and Reynolds had uncomfortable nights, Harkes was poor and Butcher had his worst game since returning. Never recovered from giving the penalty away and was fault for the next 2 goals.

Shankland missed a big chance to put us 2-0 up and was at fault for 4th goal. Louis also missed the chance of the game at 2-1. On the whole we competed quite well but the team who was sharper in both boxes won the game.

Edit to say:

I’m not having the Neilson criticism either. He’s put a team out who’ve scored twice and had 2 other massive chances. He didn’t tell Butcher to leave a leg out or make players miss headers in our own box.
    Last edited by Daly9; 29-01-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daly9 View Post
    :I’m not having the Neilson criticism either. He’s put a team out who’ve scored twice and had 2 other massive chances. He didn’t tell Butcher to leave a leg out or make players miss headers in our own box.
    He didn't, but he's the man who set us up in both games to play a formation we haven't played all season. He told us to sit back and defend last night. It was like Morton in reverse for the first 55 minutes until he took the third central midfielder off (his tactic to play three centre mids). He's too blame for the most important part for me. Correct he can't control individual incidents but if he doesn't get it right before a ball is kicked tactically then were ****ed.

Agree with everything else.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)