+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Few thoughts a after tonight and recent games

Tactics didn’t cost us the game though. Switching off at set pieces did. The only goal out with a set piece was a counter attack and Butcher had opportunity to bring Allan down in their half to stop it and then had chance to clear it in our box and passed it straight back to them.

Regardless of how the team was set up, errors that we made will get punished at that level.

Yeah but we were never gonna be able to defend our own 18 yard line for 90 minutes, which is what we were trying to do until we went 2-1 down. The fact he didn't even try to change this at half time baffles me. It was obvious it was only a matter of time before they cut us open. Our defenders aren't good enough to play that way.

I'll echo what I have said earlier in the season about the cup games...we don't need the distraction! We rested players for this game and messed around with formations etc....all things which we can do without!
    This game should be seen as something which can have a positive effect on the team....it shows that we are still vulnerable against better teams, it shows that we can compete but we ain't the finished article and we will have to strengthen for next year.
    It was a good test for the team and the owners, it has given us a wee unexpected financial boost.
    Hopefully it will be used to prevent the players becoming complacent and to push the team on to finishing this season on a high.

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    I'll echo what I have said earlier in the season about the cup games...we don't need the distraction! We rested players for this game and messed around with formations etc....all things which we can do without!
    This game should be seen as something which can have a positive effect on the team....it shows that we are still vulnerable against better teams, it shows that we can compete but we ain't the finished article and we will have to strengthen for next year.
    It was a good test for the team and the owners, it has given us a wee unexpected financial boost.
    Hopefully it will be used to prevent the players becoming complacent and to push the team on to finishing this season on a high.
    exactly how i feel, f uck the cup, lets get this league nailed on and get to f uck out of here...

I wasn't at the game last night so I'm basing this purely on what I've seen all season.

We need at least one centre-half, probably 2, if we're going to be a decent side in the Premiership next season. That's pretty obvious to me. The rest depends on what happens from here until the start of next season (or the close of the window in August to be precise.) Right now we need an upgrade at #10 and another winger but I'd like to see what Glass and Pawlett could offer in those positions given a good run in the team until the end of the season. We will probably need a striker because I'm not confident Shankland will be with us come the end of the summer transfer window. We should probably take a right good look at what Sow can offer now that he's fit.

The 2 full-backs have a bit of improvement to do but they're both capable of stepping up and competing at that level. I've seen enough of Powers and Harkes to see that they have the technical quality and composure to step up. Butcher might struggle, as massive as he has been for us the past year or so. I'd certainly not be discarding or writing him off though.

Overall 3, maybe 4, additions and a bit of patience to allow some of the younger players (Robson, Appere, Glass) to develop and adapt and we could be a decent team this time next year.

Butcher was good for us when we were in the prem before, nae reason to doubt him mate

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Butcher was good for us when we were in the prem before, nae reason to doubt him mate
    I've always liked him. I just worry he's lost half a yard of pace, which he can get away with in the Championship, but maybe not the Premiership. Like I said I'm not writing him off.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    I've always liked him. I just worry he's lost half a yard of pace, which he can get away with in the Championship, but maybe not the Premiership. Like I said I'm not writing him off.
    I think Butch will still be good in the prem.

Important not to underestimate what a MASSIVE loss it will be if Shanks leaves us

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    I think Shedka sees Powers as a threat to his beloved Butcher who constantly gives away fouls and now a stupid penalty. For me Powers is a far better footballer and is more level headed and certainly less erratic and once he picks up the pace of the Scottish game he'll end up being a decent signing for us.
    Butcher and Harkes! I think once Powers is up to speed we will have 2 players rolled into, without the inconsistency of Harkes and the rashness of Butcher. Some people just cant see past their favourites, now where is Stanton?

People doubting Powers have to remember, he's playing his fourth game since October last night!! His fourth game in three months and he was our best player. He's gonna be some player once he's fully up to speed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)