+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Few thoughts a after tonight and recent games

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I think this is the biggest factor in Hibs winning the tie. They play at that level every week and we don't. Honestly I think we did brilliantly to make it as competitive as it was and it showed that most of our players will make the step up no problems.
    Depends on the reality of "most" players Terry. Raising our game over 2 legs in a cup tie is a completely different ballgame from playing top tier opponents every week. Not to mention the frequency of games v the ugly sisters.The plus for me is that Robbies post match interview confirmed that he knows some of the players won't be able to make the step up.

All of that is right too I'd say. I think the players raising their game at least shows that are capable, whether it can be done on a longer term, consistent basis remains to be seen of course. We can't know that until we are in that environment but it looks like Robbie is making judgements already which is good.

We lost 6 goals over two games to a mid table Hibs. We need major reinforcements, especially across the back line.
    Genuinely, Siegrist, Butcher, Powers & Shankland are the only players who I think will make the step up comfortably. One of those players won't be with us next season.

We also scored 4. 🙂

We did, which highlights that offensively we are not too far away. We'll be losing Shankland though. Like I said, it's the defence where our main problem lies. We'll also need to strengthen the wide areas & up front. It's gonna be big summer.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    We did, which highlights that offensively we are not too far away. We'll be losing Shankland though. Like I said, it's the defence where our main problem lies. We'll also need to strengthen the wide areas & up front. It's gonna be big summer.
    See if Shanks is happy and fancies a season playing in the SPL, we should keep him happy and give him that year. Let's face it he would earn us points in that league. Probably impossible to replace.

Forgot to mention. Season ticket sales too. How many could Shanks add to the final number of ST sales for our 1st season back up?

+500 Yeah, I think that easily.
    +1000 Probably pushing it there, but the kids are lovin having a local hero.

Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post
    Forgot to mention. Season ticket sales too. How many could Shanks add to the final number of ST sales for our 1st season back up?

+500 Yeah, I think that easily.
    +1000 Probably pushing it there, but the kids are lovin having a local hero.
    Would be great to have a season with shanks in the premier league.

I agree irreplaceable

I would love Shankland to stay but sadly it’s impossible to find a financial case to do so.

Say he helped sell an extra 1000 season tickets at £300 each, that’s £300k and then say his goals were the difference between finishing 10th and 5th that’s £437,500 more in placing money. Even 3rd place would only mean another £250k.

So absolute best case scenario to keeping him is £1m. A sale will make us minimum 3 times that and possible add ons down the line.

Grim reality of playing in a skint league.

Quote Originally Posted by Daly9 View Post
    I would love Shankland to stay but sadly it’s impossible to find a financial case to do so.

Say he helped sell an extra 1000 season tickets at £300 each, that’s £300k and then say his goals were the difference between finishing 10th and 5th that’s £437,500 more in placing money. Even 3rd place would only mean another £250k.

So absolute best case scenario to keeping him is £1m. A sale will make us minimum 3 times that and possible add ons down the line.

Grim reality of playing in a skint league.
    Yeah, but at the end of next season he's still got a full year left on his contract to run. So, I suggest we take his goals, the £1M you estimate for 3rd place, and the kudos of having an international striker up front leading our assault on the premier league (yes, I'd make him captain) and sell him in the summer of 2021 for £6M.

How does that sound?

Yes, it's a bit of a gamble for Mark Ogren. We will need a few recruits for the premier league. Ogren can sell Shanks for £3M at the end of this season and give Robbie a large chunk to bring in these premier league quality/ready new recruits. But one of those needing replaced would be Shankland. Hmmn. Or he could take the gamble, keep Shanks for another year and invest a sum that will allow Robbie to strengthen the other areas of the team.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)