+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Few thoughts a after tonight and recent games

Few thoughts a after tonight and recent games

The team that was winning and done so well till January has been changed a little bit in recent times abs we haven't got back to playing our best xi regular yet

Stanton gone who was in the a lot and a good option

Clarke injured

McMullan not yet back on form since his injury, not even used tonight

Harkes not back to his form yet, imo partly down the fact him and Butcher work so well as a pair and Powers had been put straight in there and it isn't working as a three (whereas the three worked on occasion whet it was Stanton the third one)

Powers has been put in as I said and for me has not strengthened the first xi from pre January, early days but just a bit meh and slow so not sure it's a great signing for the prem where its quicker overall and it's broken our best cmpairing up

CB was just fine with Watson and Reynolds, for various reasons we have since seen Watson/Connolly (on the plastic at queen's) and Connolly/Reynolds since (Watson has a niggle?)

Robson not found the same form since his return

These last three things (Powers, Robson and the CB's changing) have seen us look weaker at the back recently

Disappointing that when we had the chance to test ourselves against a decent Prem side we weren't in the best shape when the time came to play them

However still lots to be positive about going forward but do think we need to get back to what was working for the run in and we can't let our levels out application drop

Oh and Pawlett starting another one I forgot, think he should have been an option from the bench until 100% and only used central, maybe in the Clarke role

Main criticism of Robbie is that he seems keen to drop Watson when on form he is our best CB.

Also he seems to feel pressure to play Pawlett when he has not delivered enough imo and slows the play down too much.

Real opportunity tonight but feel it has been wasted

Yes it was a mistake to leave Watson on the bench, but for all we know he’s maybe carrying some sort of niggle. The main thing I’m currently not sure of is shoehorning in BOTH Butcher and Powers - I feel that’s a bit of overkill in that part of the pitch and unnecessary really.

BUT, this has been a more than useful exercise. We have lost, as I expected us to frankly, but in no way have we been disgraced, far from it. And it has given us the learning opportunity we were needing before next season as regards where we’re decent and where we need to improve and strengthen.

Better to identify these things now than halfway through next season.

The biggest problem for me isnt the fault of any individual personally, it seems like im bashing pawlett, i have no issue with him personally but his inclusion completely changes the whole balance of the team, he drifts all over the place, gives us no real shape and on top of that what hes doing isnt actually providing any attacking benefits. The only way to accommodate him imho is to go 4231 with him in the middle of the 3, in a counter attacking setup like we played years ago and hit teams fast on the break, that may work for us next season, but for now when teams sit in, it is not.

The change in dynamic has has effected other players just like it did after 6 games at the start of the season when RN done exactly the same thing... its so frustrating as he had as looking great

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Main criticism of Robbie is that he seems keen to drop Watson when on form he is our best CB.

Also he seems to feel pressure to play Pawlett when he has not delivered enough imo and slows the play down too much.

Real opportunity tonight but feel it has been wasted
    totally my thoughts especially the centre halves....2 headed goals we lost tonight,just dont see that happening with Watson on as he wins most headers in the box.
    Pawlett has just been a big let down imo.
    A good learning curve for Utd in these 2 games which can only help IF/WHEN we get up.

no disgrace lads like some teams so lets kick on again in the league.

Would also add that in the last 12 months we have played Premiership opposition 5 times between the Cup and the play offs with three of those games away. We’ve won one, lost one and drawn three. There’s no danger that would have been happening under Ray or Shambles. There is a solid base there, yes with still much room for improvements, but one that is most certainly heading in the right direction.

Don't get the OP's dislike of Powers at all. They guy was immense tonight. Everything we did went through him. He's classy, keeps the ball & plays the right passes.

Tonight was one man's fault and one man only. Robbie Neilson. As with the first match, an alien formation with three centre mids. His favourites keeping their place in the team again!! So disappointed with how we set up tonight.

As i expected our dip in form is more down to the manager than the players if you know what i mean. Really frustrating as a fan to watch.

We are short changing ourselves with the current line ups and im worried that this trend will continue as he seems hell bent on playing his own signings.

From being excited about going up to the premiership and having a go im now a bit anxious. We need a top midfielder to play alongside Butcher and being honest we need a top or just better centre back to play alongside Watson. Just for starters. Edit (although i still think the current squad are capable of doing a job with the right line up)
    Last edited by bannon_ftd_83; 28-01-2020 at 11:03 PM.

I don't totally disagree with much of that opening post, that 3 central midfielders did not work for me in the first match, and I feared the worst tonight, but actually the midfield was not bad at all tonight, we had some decent possession and played some decent football, and Powers and Pawlett both played well. We lost 3 really bad goals though, and might have lost a few more, Reynolds almost flogged two within the space of a few mins first half. That would have happened regardless of formation, that defence needs some surgery, even accounting for Watson's absence.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)