+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Billy Kee: Accrington Stanley player retires at 29 for health reasons

Billy Kee: Accrington Stanley player retires at 29 for health reasons

I never knew he was dealing with this, what a shock. I thought he was that good, I even mentioned we should have stepped in and bought him last season. Reminded me of a good fox in the box like Alfie, not a massive player in stature but knew where the goal was.

Good luck Billy and I truly hope you make a speedy recovery and are at peace with yourself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51294407
    Last edited by CAMiller; 29-01-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Best wishes to him in getting his mind and body healthy.

Not related to this case but early retirement is becoming a big thing here in the NFL and I wonder if it will start to catch on in football with today's wealth at the top. Top players in the NFL, by the time they reach 26/27 at the end of their first 'big' contract can have earned well in excess of $50M and some are saying "I'm done" and aren't willing to take the risk of a life changing injury. After all that's generational money, if it's managed properly your kids, your grand kids and probably even your great grand kids would never have to work. Obviously some 'piss it up the wall' but more and more are becoming wiser to what they have.

Maybe with catastrophic injuries being less of a concern in football and the fact that there are other things to pursue than money e.g. World Cups it won't happen, but there does seem to be fewer and fewer playing beyond their early 30s.

CAM, Shhhhh....don't let Woody hear you....

Made Prince Kari look like a pauper at Burton. I don't think any striker ruffled him more. No doubt Accy have missed him this season. Hope he can put his problems behind him. Horrible illness but not insurmountable. All the best Billy.

Such a great thing that people with high profiles can talk openly about such things as anxiety and depression. It's a massive thing now with so many people admitting that they have these problems and there is no stigma attached to people with these horried debilitating conditions.. I only no 1st hand about it as my beautiful daughter suffers from anxiety.. and has done since she was very young .. she is 13 now and slowly but surely she is starting to realise she can do things and push herself the extra yard and everything is fine ... and above all she will be fine at the end of what ever she has just done.. the simplest of tasks can be hard for people with anxiety to do .. leaving the house . Getting in a car .. going to the shops .. simple every day things .. we haven't been on holiday for four years because of my daughters anxiety is travel.. but in march we are going away .. not far and only for 3 nights but my God so proud of her .. and well done Billy for talking about it .