+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Malaga, Rotherham, gentrification , food and beverages.

O/T Malaga, Rotherham, gentrification , food and beverages.

I first went to Malaga around 25 years ago. The centre was very urban, bohemian, big drug culture, very vibrant, dirty and violent.

On a recent visit I could not believe the change. Almost all the shops had gone and the whole centre had been gentrified. It was spotless and very middle class and all the establishments were food and beverage places.

I talked to a local about the transformation of the town and he told me that the the drug addicts , alcoholics, prostitutes and those with mental health issues had been forced out of their homes and moved out to the outskirts of the city. This naturally was met with a hostile response from those being moved out, with lots of demonstrations opposing the move.

I have read on here and in the local press and now seen with my own eyes that the centre of Rotherham is going to undergo a similar process with food and beverages places coming to the fore. There has also been an increase in property in the town centre being bought by developers, one would think to build new apartments.

So if Rotherham is going the same way as Malaga albeit in a vastly scaled down way, will the drug addicts, alcoholics be moved out of the town centre? If so where will they go?

I can't believe the people behind these new eating establishments will not have any say in the matter. There is no point in having a trendy cafe in town if people are too scared to walk through town to get to it.

I will be most interested in your thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by the_idiotb_stardson; 29-01-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: O/T Please

This development is long overdue, I first posted on this 7 years ago (cinema, leisure and food) and it looks like it will happen, when who knows!

I dont think Batman could clean up the streets they are that bad, drugs are apparently in free supply! What I dont understand is that drugs are tariff free as they are illegal, so post brexit if we get a no deal why dont exporters send their goods the same way drug dealers do to avoid said tariffs

I can't see people coming to Rotherham gm unless it is safe. There must be plans afoot to move the criminals out of the centre.

Until someone gets some balls and drags all the scum off the streets . Stops their benefits. And ****s them off back wherever they came from. No change.
    Sorry for sitting on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    I can't see people coming to Rotherham gm unless it is safe. There must be plans afoot to move the criminals out of the centre.
    Eastwood?

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Eastwood?
    I think Eastwood is too close to the centre gm.

Any rehousing needs to be done much further out of town.

North sea.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Until someone gets some balls and drags all the scum off the streets . Stops their benefits. And ****s them off back wherever they came from. No change.
    Sorry for sitting on the fence.
    Crash, go on old get it out of your system .....or them out of our system like you say....

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    I first went to Malaga around 25 years ago. The centre was very urban, bohemian, big drug culture, very vibrant, dirty and violent.

On a recent visit I could not believe the change. Almost all the shops had gone and the whole centre had been gentrified. It was spotless and very middle class and all the establishments were food and beverage places.

I talked to a local about the transformation of the town and he told me that the the drug addicts , alcoholics, prostitutes and those with mental health issues had been forced out of their homes and moved out to the outskirts of the city. This naturally was met with a hostile response from those being moved out, with lots of demonstrations opposing the move.

I have read on here and in the local press and now seen with my own eyes that the centre of Rotherham is going to undergo a similar process with food and beverages places coming to the fore. There has also been an increase in property in the town centre being bought by developers, one would think to build new apartments.

So if Rotherham is going the same way as Malaga albeit in a vastly scaled down way, will the drug addicts, alcoholics be moved out of the town centre? If so where will they go?

I can't believe the people behind these new eating establishments will not have any say in the matter. There is no point in having a trendy cafe in town if people are too scared to walk through town to get to it.

I will be most interested in your thoughts on the matter.
    IBS, I'll keep it brief. While ever the Labour Council receives Government pay backs/hand outs and keeps supporting to keep taking this kind of scum/immigrant, legal or non legal in, we'll never see a decent town centre again!