+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Renaming Palmerston Park....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Renaming Palmerston Park....

Nowadays the sponsorship of stadiums is a common occurrence, with one of the first questions our club has to answer upon the announcement of Palmerston sponsorship is, Could Queens sell the stadium’s naming rights?

Why is it such a readily accepted thing these days, and why not us? And will we ever get to the point where Queens fans don’t meekly agree to the selling of their stadium’s illustrious past in exchange for a paltry amount of money that they’re never going to be able to take advantage of anyway?

I think it’s time to search the market to see if there is any interest!

The stands and terraces are already sponsored by companies. As you say several other clubs have sponsored stadiums, some have changed names several times which makes it sound farcical though. I think most older stadiums that are sponsored are still referred to by their original name, ie Alloa's Indodrill Stadium is still widely referred to as Recreation Park or The Recs by its fans. Livingston's ground has probably had more names than any other in Scotland but is still widely referred to as Almondvale. If a company shows interest in sponsoring Palmerston for a decent sum I wouldn't turn them away but it will always be Palmerston to me. Maybe it's more acceptable to change names when someone is sponsoring a brand new stadium rather than an existing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    The stands and terraces are already sponsored by companies. As you say several other clubs have sponsored stadiums, some have changed names several times which makes it sound farcical though. I think most older stadiums that are sponsored are still referred to by their original name, ie Alloa's Indodrill Stadium is still widely referred to as Recreation Park or The Recs by its fans. Livingston's ground has probably had more names than any other in Scotland but is still widely referred to as Almondvale. If a company shows interest in sponsoring Palmerston for a decent sum I wouldn't turn them away but it will always be Palmerston to me. Maybe it's more acceptable to change names when someone is sponsoring a brand new stadium rather than an existing one.
    Agree with all of that although given my less than rudimentary understanding of club finances i’ve no idea as to what a decent sum might be.

Seemingly it was on the site of a farm called Palmers Town,that's where the name came from, I always thought it was named after Lord Palmerston

Quote Originally Posted by The caulback View Post
    Seemingly it was on the site of a farm called Palmers Town,that's where the name came from, I always thought it was named after Lord Palmerston
    I used to think that too.
    I would prefer the status quo that the stands are sponsored instead of renaming the stadium. I like the tradition of using the proper name.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    I used to think that too.
    I would prefer the status quo that the stands are sponsored instead of renaming the stadium. I like the tradition of using the proper name.

while we are at it lets just go the whole hog and write to red bull ,maybe we can persuade them to add queens to the red bull juggernaut along side salzberg and leipzig ,, "red bull queens"

£75k per season over 3 years would be a good starting point

I have no idea what our player wage bill is but even covering say 25% of it by stadium sponsorship would be a big help. I doubt if there are many local businesses who could afford to, or be interested enough, to get involved so we may have to look further afield to National companies. As I said earlier it will always be Palmerston to me.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)