+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No rothwell so who plays?

No rothwell so who plays?

Joe rothwell has tweaked his hamstring so will at least miss this game.
    The question is who to replace him with?
    Personally I would shift downing out wide and play Davenport centrally.
    Alot of calls for Rankin Costello to start but I prefer to blood him in gently.

Robin - we've really had bad luck in terms of injuries to players in good form: Cunningham, Dack, Evans, Rothwell!
    One thought that crossed my mind was that we must start with Downing, Graham and Chapman - just because of the Boro connection! Players do often seem to make a special effort in that situation.
    More seriously, though, Boro look a different kettle of fish from QPR - on paper, at least. They have only scored 29 goals - the second worst in the Division - but they are pretty tight, defensively.
    Many of our players pick themselves at the moment: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin, Bell, Travis and Armstrong are certainties (if fit).
    Downing is close to that status as well, so we are really looking at three spaces.
    I suspect we will actually see Holtby, Rankin-Costello and Gallagher, but if I was in charge, I might have a go at something different, because of the specific challenges Boro present:
    Walton
    Nyambe Tosin Lenihan Bell
    Bennett Travis Davenport Downing
    Graham Armstrong.
    (I would be quite happy to see Gallagher in for DG, but I just think the latter is likely to be better at holding the ball up and laying off headers for AA).
    I very much doubt that TM would start with 4-4-2 like this, but I think Bennett and Downing provide more support for our full-backs than the alternatives, and Downing is certainly likely to provide better crosses than the other contenders.
    To get back to your question, I'm not really trying to replace Rothwell at all. I'm more conservative than Mowbray and I'd opt for only two outright attackers. As I see it, Nyambe can go beyond Bennett on a regular basis in my line-up, but without having to be so concerned about who's filling the gap.
    Also, I think Boro would find it difficult to penetrate with Travis and Davenport as our first line of defence. For me, Holtby is one of those bits-and-pieces players, and I'm not sure how he's best used. Perhaps as a last half-hour sub. And Rankin-Costello has always said that his favourite position is wide-left, so he could just slot into Downing's place for the final quarter. (Same with Gallagher for Graham).

It's easy - this management business!

He may consider playing William's at LB and Bell LM.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Robin - we've really had bad luck in terms of injuries to players in good form: Cunningham, Dack, Evans, Rothwell!
    One thought that crossed my mind was that we must start with Downing, Graham and Chapman - just because of the Boro connection! Players do often seem to make a special effort in that situation.
    More seriously, though, Boro look a different kettle of fish from QPR - on paper, at least. They have only scored 29 goals - the second worst in the Division - but they are pretty tight, defensively.
    Many of our players pick themselves at the moment: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin, Bell, Travis and Armstrong are certainties (if fit).
    Downing is close to that status as well, so we are really looking at three spaces.
    I suspect we will actually see Holtby, Rankin-Costello and Gallagher, but if I was in charge, I might have a go at something different, because of the specific challenges Boro present:
    Walton
    Bennett Travis Davenport Downing
    Graham Armstrong.
    (I would be quite happy to see Gallagher in for DG, but I just think the latter is likely to be better at holding the ball up and laying off headers for AA).
    I very much doubt that TM would start with 4-4-2 like this, but I think Bennett and Downing provide more support for our full-backs than the alternatives, and Downing is certainly likely to provide better crosses than the other contenders.
    To get back to your question, I'm not really trying to replace Rothwell at all. I'm more conservative than Mowbray and I'd opt for only two outright attackers. As I see it, Nyambe can go beyond Bennett on a regular basis in my line-up, but without having to be so concerned about who's filling the gap.
    Also, I think Boro would find it difficult to penetrate with Travis and Davenport as our first line of defence. For me, Holtby is one of those bits-and-pieces players, and I'm not sure how he's best used. Perhaps as a last half-hour sub. And Rankin-Costello has always said that his favourite position is wide-left, so he could just slot into Downing's place for the final quarter. (Same with Gallagher for Graham).

It's easy - this management business!
    Danny graham in his final months of being at Rovers can be useful. But not on pitch. He should be having a positive effect on our two future stars, Armstrong and Gallagher. The longer we stick with these two lads, the quicker they will gel.
    We can't keep regressing and going 'back' to a guy who is too old. We have been here numerous times over the season. And it hasn't worked. It is holding us back.
    Wait until we are mathematically unable to get into the play-offs which is when we have nothing at all to play for. And pay DG some respect for the last 2 seasons and let him have a game where he gets to say goodbye. And we can wish him well and off he goes. This should've happened 12 months ago. We really need to start getting tougher on this.
    We can't afford to run this old boys everyone is comfortable retirement club.
    Ritchie Smallwood should not have had a contract past the end of last season, when it was clear 6 months before that he was not good enough. Whoever gave him a long contract is a complete idiot.
    Mulgrew's wages are currently killing us. How does a guy who was clearly not good enough last season, STILL have 18 months to run on an expensive contract?? Whoever agreed that is weak, an idiot and these kinds of decisions are crazy. Making Elliott Bennett captain. Mental idea.
    Danny Graham should have left when he had the chance. We should have made that happen. His contract should've run out last summer, it should not have been his option. Ridiculous way to run a club, who only get 11k for home games. No wonder we are mounting debt. Folk can keep choosing to ignore this, but it will all catch up with us.
    Ontop, we have a £8m a year academy.
    Enough is enough. We need to start sticking with our future players. Not readily going back to Graham, who simply is not the answer. And hasn't been for over 12 months now. It's short-sighted beyond belief.
    I keep getting asked if Smallwood would go out on loan, or why hasn't he left.
    People need to start understanding why we are creating more debt than we should be.
    Smallwood gets very well paid. Is towards the end of his career, and will never play for such a big club. He is in a club with great facilities, they cant afford. And the guy spends his days playing pool with people like Ben Gladwin. He is in NO rush to leave. He is pissing himself such a weak club, put him on a long contract. The one saving grace, is TM sussed out he was a joke 12 months ago. And he hasnt played since. Sadly, Bennett and Graham are doing what he did, show he isn't good enough. But they haven't been sussed out.

Bradley Johnson into midfield, with Downing switching to Rothwells position would be my guess. Round pegs in round holes.

I am sure Tony will have everything in control ��

I am all for downing going on the left but you need a bit of mobility in midfield.
    Johnson,downing and Gallagher on the right hardly screams mobile with pace.
    I honestly would try Davenport for an hour or so and see how he goes.
    I would like to think him and travis are our future midfield partnership.

The reason I suggested Graham up front is that we know he can do the target-man job. With Gallagher, it's still guesswork.
    I take Champs' point that we need to find out, but we are still in with a chance of a play-off place, so I don't think we'll see too much in the way of experiment.
    The official site seem to be suggesting/guessing that this will be the team:
    Walton
    Travis Downing Bennett
    Gallagher Armstrong Holtby.

Not Bennett from the start.. woeful really.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Not Bennett from the start.. woeful really.
    damn right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)