+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smallest squad in entire football league ?

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    We could have another young lad on the bench e.g. Hull who looks decent when I have seen him.
    Think we can manage for one game.
    Yes - put young Hull on the bench if needed. Give him a taste of the first team experience, routine, atmosphere , etc.

We should try to move to a more competitive reserves league anyway, so squad players get more regular matches

We have a pot of cash for wages.
    PW/TS choose to pay a higher wage to a smaller squad which inturn attracts better players. Were talking small percentage but it's the difference between getting the player or being bottom half of the league.
    When were in the championship look at the amount of players we loose out on. 90%of the time it's down to wages

In answer to MILLERSTALE's point, there are some very sensible and well thought out replies.
    Do we need a squad of 30+ players we can ill afford to pay? Only 11 start a game and you can only name 7 subs. We are well covered. Today the subs bench may well be: Bilboe, Ladapo, Olosunde, Wiles, Lindsay, Macdonald and Clark. That's enough decent cover.

Warne has trimmed the squad and rightly so. Some may think we are gambling running with such a small squad but, the two new signings are only 1 week away from availability should their services be required so not a long time to wait.

From the side that played Ipswich mid week, we are currently injury free so Warne should and probably will, name an unchanged side to start. It's v.ital we utilise a team that is playing together on a 'regular' basis, balance is key. Having a massive squad isn't what it's all cut out to be.
    Last edited by Brin; 01-02-2020 at 11:02 AM.

In the season Aston Villa won the European Cup they used 14 players from start to fininsh so it can be done with a smsller squad.Do we sometimes get hung up about the number of subs available?.I realise that problems can occur or it is nice to replace a player who looks tired/jaded but this happens less in a winning team.
    Also,could the reason for a smaller squad be to allow the manager/chairman room to sign more players when we get promoted-fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Yep I count 6 subs today assuming all fit
    Price or Bilbo, Lindsey, McDonald, ladapo, Clarke, olasunde. We could have another young lad on the bench e.g. hull who looks decent when I have seen him. It covers all positions but cb. If owt were to happen in the gam3 tho I suppose you could put Thompson at cb and bring on olasunde at right back. Think we can manage for one game.
    And wiles unless your thinking we are playing with 12 on the pitch today
    Iversen
    Mattock
    Thompson
    Ike
    Wood
    Barlaser
    Crooks
    Adelakun
    Ogbene
    Smith
    Vassell

yep forgot about Wiles so should make 7 subs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12