+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Obs on yesterday

My Obs on yesterday

Before any United comment. well done Arbroath. In general they worked harder, gave a lot more and simply seemed to want it a lot more. Campbell had them well organised and deeply focused. He managed to identify our weaknesses and easily exploit them and gag our 'strengths'.

For us, that was simply dreadful. From back to front. L. Smith has been weak the last few weeks, Connolly is a bombscare at CB, Robson has not regained his form.

Pawlett brings the grand total of zero to the side in terms of serious workmate, attracting threat or creativity. Now considered a passenger.

Butcher - Powers played OK, Powers needs to find more speed.

Shankland had the grand total of 2 chances and didn't convert where he was converting earlier in the season, he needs service.

Sow, couldn't believe when he was in line up with Paulette. I don't like anyone injured but maybe now this is his time to be released.

Arbroath goal was a result of Glass being left to take on 2 Arbroath players, Smith was absent and Connolly in no mans land. Nobody tracked the scorer who waltzed through unattended.

Distribution from the back was beyond woeful, hopeful punts up the wings and throw ins every time.

When it was changed a little towards the end and Connolly started pushing forward with urgency we actually started creating a little.

All in all that was woeful, too many chasms to be filled, a solid fortnights work for Mr Robbie.

Another issue is why we seem to take so many injuries compared to other sides, or is it just my perception.

That's a good summary of how it played out. Left back is a problem for us at the moment, Robson's distribution is awful, he's giving the ball away a lot and his crossing has been poor. Pawlett was a passenger yesterday, did nothing of note I can think of. To end o a slight positive, I thought Hsrkes looked great when he came on, pushed us farther up the pitch with some great runs into space.

I can see why folk get frustrated with Harkes, from what I have seen he attempts a lot of good but quite often does a flick or a trick at the wrong time and loses possession.
    Powers is no slower than Neil Lennon but our defenders are very slow at reading the game which highlights Powers lack of pace. Powers would look just fine if playing in front of a switched on defence.

I remember earlier the team went on a great run after 2/3 bad results and hoping that happens again but we do need to give the head a wiggle Robbie and play the right players in the right position pretty pronto

Quote Originally Posted by georgefoxposse1 View Post
    Before any United comment. well done Arbroath. In general they worked harder, gave a lot more and simply seemed to want it a lot more. Campbell had them well organised and deeply focused. He managed to identify our weaknesses and easily exploit them and gag our 'strengths'.

For us, that was simply dreadful. From back to front. L. Smith has been weak the last few weeks, Connolly is a bombscare at CB, Robson has not regained his form.

Pawlett brings the grand total of zero to the side in terms of serious workmate, attracting threat or creativity. Now considered a passenger.

Butcher - Powers played OK, Powers needs to find more speed.

Shankland had the grand total of 2 chances and didn't convert where he was converting earlier in the season, he needs service.

Sow, couldn't believe when he was in line up with Paulette. I don't like anyone injured but maybe now this is his time to be released.

Arbroath goal was a result of Glass being left to take on 2 Arbroath players, Smith was absent and Connolly in no mans land. Nobody tracked the scorer who waltzed through unattended.

Distribution from the back was beyond woeful, hopeful punts up the wings and throw ins every time.

When it was changed a little towards the end and Connolly started pushing forward with urgency we actually started creating a little.

All in all that was woeful, too many chasms to be filled, a solid fortnights work for Mr Robbie.

Another issue is why we seem to take so many injuries compared to other sides, or is it just my perception.
    Wasn't there but is it just coincidence that Connolly comes in at CB and we start losing goals if Watson is injured why no replacement other than bombscare Connolly yes I know we need service up front but tight at back and I would have taken a draw.

Our best and most attacking football this season has generally been when we’ve played a front 4 of Appere, Clark, Shankland and McMullan so no surprise we’ve dipped when 3 of them are missing and have been replaced with likes of Sow and Pawlett who can barely move and Sporle who isn’t a natural winger and still finding his feet.

Having such a poor attack has put more onus on Robson and Smith and has exposed the reality that they’re decent championship players but they need replaced as first choice in the summer. Their positioning, distribution and crossing isn’t good enough.

Looked a lot better when Butcher moved to centre back as he was confident enough to carry ball forward which Reynolds won’t do. It also allowed Powers more room in the middle instead of sharing it with Butcher. They want to do the same thing which might work in games we’re the underdogs but not when you’re trying to break down 11 men behind ball.

On another day Shankland still gets 3 so I’m not overly concerned. We’re going to win the league but perhaps not in the style we’d have thought a month or so ago. Huge job in the summer to prevent us becoming bottom 6 fodder though.

Our best and most attacking football this season has generally been when we’ve played a front 4 of Appere, Clark, Shankland and McMullan so no surprise we’ve dipped when 3 of them are missing and have been replaced with likes of Sow and Pawlett who can barely move and Sporle who isn’t a natural winger and still finding his feet.

Totally agree with this. My concern is Robbies inability to see that the pairing of Reynolds and Connelly weakens the back 4. It’s true that both smith and Robson are struggling at the moment too. Bt when you have 2 CB who cannot play out from the back the pressure is always on the defence. I prefer butcher in the mid bt If Watson is injured?? then why nt go for butcher at cb and play harkes in mid. Surely that has to be a better option at the moment. I know we wld lose the physicality in the mid but powers has a wee bit of dig about him to cover a match or two.

We do not need to be playing both Butcher and Powers. I thought Powers had been brought in as cover for Butcher and that they would be interchangeable. I didn’t think we’d be playing them together. Playing two holding midfielders in front of the back four at home to Arbroath and Morton is ridiculous. We’re almost playing 6-0-4 as a result with no link up between front and back. Powers additionally is slowing everything down to walking pace and never turns and goes. He is always taking a couple of touches when receiving the ball and invariably then playing it sideways. As a consequence we are giving teams loads of time to make sure they are organised into their banks of four and five. As a result we are playing everything in front of the opposition without stretching them and getting in behind. I know Powers is neat and tidy etc but he is the central issue over the last few games.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    We do not need to be playing both Butcher and Powers. I thought Powers had been brought in as cover for Butcher and that they would be interchangeable. I didn’t think we’d be playing them together. Playing two holding midfielders in front of the back four at home to Arbroath and Morton is ridiculous. We’re almost playing 6-0-4 as a result with no link up between front and back. Powers additionally is slowing everything down to walking pace and never turns and goes. He is always taking a couple of touches when receiving the ball and invariably then playing it sideways. As a consequence we are giving teams loads of time to make sure they are organised into their banks of four and five. As a result we are playing everything in front of the opposition without stretching them and getting in behind. I know Powers is neat and tidy etc but he is the central issue over the last few games.
    You could have a point there but Arbroath offered nothing in the way of an attacking sense in the 2nd half so maybe if we had taken off Reynolds at half time and went 3 at the back we'd maybe have had a better chance going forward. I also agree Powers and Butcher can't play in the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Good post, cant see many arguing with this

I’ve seen a few posts criticising Liam Smith. I thought he was one of our few performers yesterday. Always looking for the ball out wide, loads of effort and did quite well on that right wing. Also thought Connolly was not as bad as some folk are saying. I have however not seen the goal back yet ! First half Robson and Sporle was really not working down that left at all. Slightly better second

Overall very disappointing yesterday. However if Shanks had stuck that great chance in things may have improved considerably all round. Always said their will be some losses in this league and well done to Arbroath who are punching above their weight and doing very well in this league.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)