Treat your loved ones to a Track Days Experience voucher for when the lockdown ends!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Adama Traore

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,117

    Adama Traore

    Adama has been named PFA player of the month for January. All the coaching and listening has paid off.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    14,099
    Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Adama has been named PFA player of the month for January. All the coaching and listening has paid off.
    Am pleased for him, but I still find him a very frustrating player. If you line up his goals/Assists along side the really poor decisions he makes in the last third they probably cancel each other out. Another thing that frustrates me is the number of times he takes the ball at a stand instead of positioning himself to take it in his stride and so take full advantage of his speed. However having said that he is still a valuable asset to the side. As we have seen just him being on the field causes the opposition into a limiting, for them, tactical change.

    I just hope he doesn't get caught up in all the media hype that he is starting to attract, he seems like a fairly level headed young man though, but still there are some subtle operators out there. When managers like Pep and Klopp describe him as "unstoppable" when he gets on the ball they wouldn't be trying to encourage him to dribble into dead ends would they!?

    Nuno has done a great job to make him as effective as he is and like I said he is a valuable asset but possibly this is as good as it gets?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,688
    Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Am pleased for him, but I still find him a very frustrating player. If you line up his goals/Assists along side the really poor decisions he makes in the last third they probably cancel each other out. Another thing that frustrates me is the number of times he takes the ball at a stand instead of positioning himself to take it in his stride and so take full advantage of his speed. However having said that he is still a valuable asset to the side. As we have seen just him being on the field causes the opposition into a limiting, for them, tactical change.

    I just hope he doesn't get caught up in all the media hype that he is starting to attract, he seems like a fairly level headed young man though, but still there are some subtle operators out there. When managers like Pep and Klopp describe him as "unstoppable" when he gets on the ball they wouldn't be trying to encourage him to dribble into dead ends would they!?

    Nuno has done a great job to make him as effective as he is and like I said he is a valuable asset but possibly this is as good as it gets?
    I think he makes his fair share of mistakes. No more or less than a normal player. The difference is he's in the position to make these mistakes more than anyone. He creates opportunities for himself and others more than most players. So while it's frustrating at times, I think it's mostly due to the volume of opportunities he creates.

    I'd rather have a player that is only 50% successful on crosses if he's crossing the ball 10 times a game (50%=5 good crosses) than have a player with a 75% success rate that creates 4 opportunities to do so in a game (75% = 3 good crosses). Unless you have a way to create more opportunities to cross the ball for the latter player, the former is the better choice.

    This is just an elementary analysis as I don't know the actual figures. I know he has more successful take ons than any player in Europe's top 5 leagues. So he's creating a ton of chances to succeed or mess up and the sheer volume theoretically outweighs the times he messes up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,117
    One of his greatest strengths Woody is his speed away from a standing start. If players are moving with him they have more of a chance of stopping him, however, from a standing start they have no chance, Jarvis had that ability to stop the ball and suddenly move away. As Linford Christie would say "You go on the B of the Bang".

    Club/Teams, now know what to expect from him, but the only way to stop him is to take turns at committing a foul against him. Even Kane fetched him down and Mings at the villa assaulted him. It often takes two or three to mark him, thus leaving some of our players free. I do wish that we would leave him up on the centre circle when we are defending corners, it would need several opponents to stay back with him.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    14,099
    Can't really argue with the points made above. I'm just concerned that he will get hyped up way beyond his talent level and it will affect the clubs view of him and his own performances. He has his own thread on the Man Utd board where some one, a Utd, supporter, compared him to Aaron Robben! OK the guy got shot down, by most, but you can see where it can go.

    With regard to his speed from a standing start. That's good when the play is compressed and tight deep in the opponents half but at times he takes the ball at a stand, wide, close to the half way line with one defender in front of him and a big open space behind waiting to be exploited, positioning himself to take the ball on the run would give him a much better opportunity to make something happen instead of knocking it inside or back which often happens. Hopefully someone is taking time to coach him regarding his off ball movement because it could take him to another level.

    A very useful player and a great asset to the club, but still a way to go before being rated with te very best.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    871
    Adama's dislocated his shoulder twice this season now, most recently in the game against Spurs. Sounds like both incidents were partial dislocations, can't imagine he would have continued with a full dislocation!!! He's in contention for tomorrow but long term a bit of a worry, sounds like he may need surgery at some point?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    14,099
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    Adama's dislocated his shoulder twice this season now, most recently in the game against Spurs. Sounds like both incidents were partial dislocations, can't imagine he would have continued with a full dislocation!!! He's in contention for tomorrow but long term a bit of a worry, sounds like he may need surgery at some point?
    Maybe it is related to his "bulking up"? Either way I hope it works out OK.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,433
    My biggest concern with Traore is that all the publicity he's attracting puts him more prominently in the shop window. Mind you I'm sure that the football scouts don't need to read the Daily Mail or the BBC !!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,925
    Some interesting, valid, comments, lads. and there is certainly much to consider when we speak of the phenomenon that is Traore. I keep remembering how often he was able to get in behind Van Dyk when we played against Liverpool recently.....(like no other player has been able to do, so far this season). IMO, handled correctly, this lad is capable of going far. I dread the day when we lose him to Barcelona or some other club with a lot of money and sadly I don't think that day will be long in coming.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •