+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ross leaves

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    I've tracked down 5 penalty saves made by Barry Watling in the 1970/71 season.

01 Aug 1970 v Sheffield Wednesday (Pre-season friendly)
    14 Nov 1970 v Southport (Division 4)
    12 Dec 1970 v Bury (FA Cup)
    06 Feb 1971 v Bournemouth (Division 4)
    13 Feb 1971 v Chester (Division 4)

I particularly remember his save at Bournemouth against their star striker Ted MacDougall in an ill-tempered 1-1 draw. His fifth was against Chester the following week and here's a description of that save , from a Notts' fan's letter to the Football Post.

"I believe the 10,500 spectators at the Notts v Chester game at Meadow Lane, will agree they saw one of the finest saves of a penalty by Barry Watling, the Notts' keeper. Taken by McHale, the Chester inside forward, a no mean performer and a good class player on his day, it was perfectly placed just inside the keeper's left hand post. The shot had terrific pace and kept reasonably low. It was a goal all the way but for the brilliant anticipation and wonderful agility of Watling diving across his goal and punching the ball round the post. The save deserved every bit of applause it received from the crowd."

The Football Post reported that "Watling was cheered from the field at half-time and given a standing ovation by the people in the stands."
    Amazing save considering the goalie wasn't even allowed to flinch till the ball was kicked. Compare the stationary goalie in those days to these modern ballet dancers poncing and posing, every one of them with the same stretching moves, copying a gibbon swinging through the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by ivansneck View Post
    Save percentage out of 1000?
    Nah the guy that made it put extra zero's on 50% and 100%

See some people wondering how some, our owners, look at stats in relation to the goalkeeping position. If any of you are on Twitter this guy is worth a follow in my opinion and might give some insight, only deals in the top end stuff though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jhdharrison1

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345