+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for all non born Geordie followers

Question for all non born Geordie followers

Which is the nearest biggish club to where you were born, and what makes you favour Newcastle United, or indeed any other top club, over them.

Seaham harbour lad
    But loved Keegan and supermac as a kid
    Brother took me to Sunderland games as a kid as I played at a very good level
    Couldn't get into them it wasn't for me

Born Scottish borders, moved to Toon when about 6 years old and so Newcastle was the first and only club I have ever supported.

non born people do not exist, unless a foetus can be said to follow a team

Hull City but when I was growing up they were playing the old division 3 and struggling. Everyone new them as sh1ty city so I wasn't being part of that lol. I did go watch them a few times, my dad was a Newcastle fan and overtime they became my team as well.

Spennymoor and most of my mates were Newcastle, my uncle was black and white so he always kept on to me (my dad is one of those that likes all 3 to do well...)

And then Keegan signed

limmasol or paphos

moved to the uk and lived in Catterick and remembered supermac scoring i think 5 for england against cyprus and decided then to follow the toon

although the real reason is me dad came back to cyprus when he went on a tour and said if i looked after me kid brothers and me mam he would bring me back a apir of addidas footy boots and a english footy top

the boots had three orange tripes down the side and were from woolworts and had winfield down the side
    me mates and me thought he (winfield) must have played for Holland with them being orange

the black and white top had a magpie on it

but we later found out this was a county top

never looked back

AGF - www.agf.dk

Started supporting Newcastle after, having been uninterested in the game for a while, I turned on the TV and they were the first team I saw and;

1) NUFC had players like Owen, Smith, Duff, Given, Butt, Viduka etc. that all used to be great players when I had been interested originally. Ironically, most of the those players had turned shyte or didn't care about the club and that was the team that eventually got us relegated. My hate for Aston Villa started around the same time!

2) Seeing NUFC on TV made me think back to 90's Brown Ale sponsored shirt and players that I loved from early childhood, such as Shearer, Ginola and Ferdinand. Remember them all more from a game called Premier League Manager '97 than from actually watching them play in real life.

From my own point of view I've often thought about this. I've always been proud to have been born a Geordie within 10 minute walk of St.James' Park and then especially during my late school years and late te ens when we won the F.A.Cup three times in five years.

I've laways had a soft spot for Wolves of the late 40's/50's of Bert Williams, Billy Wright, Jesse Pye and the rest under Stan Cullis, then later Liverpool under Bill Shankley, liked West Brom also then when I moved to London in the mid 60's watched Spurs until the POSH TOFFS began supporting them because it was the in thing, then I followed Brentford.

But having a soft spot for all of those clubs I could never love them or support them as I do my local team of my birth.

This is why I asked the question because If you are born and brought up close to a club it's a big thing to give alleigience to another club and not knowing what it is myself I think it must be even a special extra feeling of loyalty to stick with it through thick and thin, and be a loyal fan.

Just looking on this site, and there are many other Newcastle United forums, there are posts from all over the world giving support.

It's easy for people to jump on band waggons like the hoards who travel to Manchester from London when those clubs along with the artificial Chelsea are flavour of the Month, but the lads and lasses from other areas who staunchly follow us when we've won very little for over 60 years deserve medals as big as frying pans.

P.S. does anyone know why it blanks out the word te(gap)ens and replaces with asterisks
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 05-02-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    This is why I asked the question because If you are born and brought up close to a club it's a big thing to give alleigience to another club and not knowing what it is myself I think it must be even a special extra feeling of loyalty to stick with it through thick and thin, and be a loyal fan.
    I think this is especially true if the teams you are supporting are both located in the same country. Then it must be tough. Having two (or more) teams to support generally speaking, however, can quite easily be done.

I know that many Glaswegians, for instance, support either Celtic or Rangers and then also have a team in England that they follow/support.

It's the same here. Usually you support the club of the city/region where you're from and then you follow an International team as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)