+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workington's automatic promotion prospects being seriously tested

I do believe that bodies were washed out to the Isle of Man. I wonder what percentage of those topped themselves because they had just seen a Workington or Carlisle game. Other reasons for choosing death may be about the remoteness of Cumbria, even today, does the BBC reach up there? Listening to radio 4 only goes so far. I expect there was a lot of starvation back then and suicide was a quick way out.

What is Aspatria?, were you the recipient of charity.? Don't feel bad about it, I remember being taken to council offices and drinking orange juice. Is starvation still going on up there, do people have a place to live? I expect cannibalism keeps people going.

As for walking ten miles home is remarkable. My admiration has no bounds. I have a pretty sharp memory, I remember Workington getting gates of about 1300, sometimes they dipped below a thousand. I used to follow Bradford Park Avenue via league tables, they were very bad, struggling every year, Cambridge eventually got their place, and doing our best to replicate it.

Can I send you a cheque? Lets say a weeks worth of fish and chips, that's about 70 quid. Get something hot down you.

Best regards Joey.

There was a suicide from our village last year, Frank, and he ended up on the Isle of Man. Suicide usually results from a mental health problem, and folk up here are generally OK in that department; it must be the clean air, stress-free lifestyle and good food.

Aspatria is my home town; it produces Sealy beds and Lake District Cheese. People up here don’t starve, Frank, in fact it’s entirely the opposite. Some eat far too much; Allerdale is the fat-capital of England. I’m partly to blame, delivering milk, bacon,cream, hams, butter, cheese, eggs etc to cafes and restaurants in Western Cumbria on a Friday. Kids here don’t drink orange juice, they start on the ale early.

Thanks for the offer of money, but a measly £70 won’t keep me and Mrsgriff in cabillaud grille, condiment citronella gingmbre salicornes au lait de coco for long I can tell you.

If your into cooking I recommend Scott Conants tomato and basil spaghetti, he serves it in his New York restaurant. Its easy to make, you can vary it by doing bacon bits first. You will pay a lot for this in a restaurant. You will need a potatoe masher, you will never buy dolmio again.

p.s its on the internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)