+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My All Time Albion Squad

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    ally brown loved the man so underrated,unselfish running bringing and making space for other players .
    Hi, have heard from someones who plays golf with Ally, that sadly he is suffering with dementia.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Hi, have heard from someones who plays golf with Ally, that sadly he is suffering with dementia.
    That’s truly shocking,one of my heroes and not that old.

The squad of 78-82 would take up the majority of places for me.

Astlecwas crippled by 72 when I started watching.

I’d be finding room for Ally Brown and Odemwingie as well at Martyn Bennett and Richard Sneekes.

Andy Hunt,Carton Palmer and David Burrows were all excellent players who flourished after leaving us.

Hard to pick a top 20. From my ist season's, players like Derick Kevan,Bobby Robson and Don Howe , then mid 60s to 70 my favourite team Hope,Kaye ,Clark ,Astle, Bomber,Ossie, Fraser and Lovette pre accident.
    76 to 82 great players. Giles,Regis Cunningham,Johnstone,Wile,ALy Robertson,Robson ,Cantelo And Staythen etc
    Only after this spell,only Houlte and Foster would get close to the top 20.

Yes, Derek Kevan would definitely be in my squad as a centre forward. Scored at will for season after season until transferring to Chelsea in 1963. Never really produced the goods once he left us.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Yes, Derek Kevan would definitely be in my squad as a centre forward. Scored at will for season after season until transferring to Chelsea in 1963. Never really produced the goods once he left us.
    My dad played against him in a county cup schools match when they were both 14-15 in Yorkshire.

Dad said they were two excellent and evenly matched sides in a game that my dad’s side lost 0-7.

All 7 goals scored by Kevan who my dad described as being like a grown man amongst boys of his own age.......an absolute beast and the only difference between the sides.

I only saw Derek play once in a testimonial when he was about 54,it might’ve been Stuart Naylor’s testimonial if memory serves me correct,Alan Buckley was our manager at the time and he and his “tea leaf” son both played.

Derek was a brewery rep at the time and as round as a barrel and didn’t trouble the scoreboard but what a legend.

I assumed the Brown was Tony.

To be fair that's a good list apart from the ones mentioned negatively after.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    That’s truly shocking,one of my heroes and not that old.

The squad of 78-82 would take up the majority of places for me.

Astlecwas crippled by 72 when I started watching.

I’d be finding room for Ally Brown and Odemwingie as well at Martyn Bennett and Richard Sneekes.

Andy Hunt,Carton Palmer and David Burrows were all excellent players who flourished after leaving us.
    My memory of Bennett probably unfairly tarnished because he played in an Albion side on the decline from the heights of 78/79. Burrows I'd forgotten about don't think he played many games spread over a few seasons.

Both Brunt and Morrison gave outstanding performances and scored some memorable goals in the Premier league, which is much more competitive than the old first division.

Plenty of suggestions for who to include (that's easy) but not much in the way of who you leave out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)