+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: programme

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    You have a good memory Stravaigar. On a entirely separate subject , how did you come to your username ?
    I did take it to mean someone who wanders aimlessly in remote areas for long periods of time which sums me up perfectly. Have managed around 600 Munro ascents and over 300 Corbetts so kept myself busy. I never saw Tedd McMinn in a Queens shirt because I was always away during his entire career with us.

Been pals with Tommy (Mark 2) for many years and he was born in Johnstone in 1960. Don't know where Tam (Mark 1)
    was born but he signed for Queens from Johnstone Burgh in October 1971.

One noticeable thing from our squad in 1972 is the amount of players plucked from the juniors . Not so many now
    I also noticed that there was 9 or 10 local lads in that Queens squad

If the Dunfermilne fan that started this thread wants to come on and PM his address, I will send him this programme to complete his collection.

If the Dunfermilne fan that started this thread wants to come on and PM his address, I will send him this programme to complete his collection.
    Hi, I have just sent you a private message. Thank you very much

One noticeable thing from our squad in 1972 is the amount of players plucked from the juniors . Not so many now
    Agreed JR, the number signed from Junior clubs was quite noticeable, it seems to be a largely overlooked source of players now. I'm not sure we've got such a thing as a scouting system now or if Junior players simply aren't interested in moving to the seniors. We certainly unearthed a few gems from the Juniors anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    Agreed JR, the number signed from Junior clubs was quite noticeable, it seems to be a largely overlooked source of players now. I'm not sure we've got such a thing as a scouting system now or if Junior players simply aren't interested in moving to the seniors. We certainly unearthed a few gems from the Juniors anyway.

auld chippy iv watch a good few junior games over the years as iv had friends play for teams like glenafton and as you say alot of these junior players wont leave ,but the level of play is good and in a more toughened way ,i reckon queens should dabble there toes looking for players in the juniors as thay physically ready defo and not far off the skill levels needed in the top leagues in scotland ,wont take much of a challenge to get a rough diamond up to speed in this championship .

Aye Francis. Giving it a bit more thought, it's maybe a bigger decision now to move to a full time team from Juniors. Back when we were part time it wasn't such a major change as you could still keep on at your normal day job, train a couple of nights a week and play Saturdays and the odd midweek, similar to what they do as Juniors. It would have to be an above average Junior player to risk giving him a full time contract I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    auld chippy iv watch a good few junior games over the years as iv had friends play for teams like glenafton and as you say alot of these junior players wont leave ,but the level of play is good and in a more toughened way ,i reckon queens should dabble there toes looking for players in the juniors as thay physically ready defo and not far off the skill levels needed in the top leagues in scotland ,wont take much of a challenge to get a rough diamond up to speed in this championship .
    Queens had the chance to sign Kris Doolan years ago but decided he wasn’t good enough. The rest as they say is history

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)