+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our big money sales

Our big money sales

Hey guys it annoys me when people call us a 'selling club', and I think it makes it worse because begrudgingly, I/we know this and we have to accept that it IS true.

When have we ever sold a quality player, for so called good money, and then replaced them with somebody as or almost as good ?.

Remember when... David Currie went for about 700k. Carl Tiler went for about 1.5 mill AND Steve Agnew went for about 750k at the same time. Ashley Ward went for about 4.5 mill, and Conor Hourihanne & Sam Winnall both went for about £833 quid and a free monthly supply of cola bottle sweets.

And my question still is, have we ever replaced a quality player like those mentioned above for example, with somebody as good or at least almost as good ?.

Woodrow in for Bradshaw is as close as I can get over the years.

Emmerdale' Part 2s starting.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Woodrow in for Bradshaw is as close as I can get over the years.
    Emmerdale' Part 2s starting.
    Forget f*king Emmerdale mister SB!!.
    This is one of my few serious threads on here lol. Theres no jokes, and theres absolutely no manure smelling Emmerdingle tv.

De Zeeuw in for Gerry Taggart(although Taggart wo better)

Hignett in for Redders

Am guin back some years

Biggins for Payton ? ! I liked them both , proper strikers

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Biggins for Payton ? ! I liked them both , proper strikers
    Actually Roma, yes I think Andy Payton was a better replacement for Wayne Biggins, in season 93-94 I think ?.

Remember when we sold the great Ashley Ward at the end of '98, and we had to make do with the likes of Don Goodman & Mike Turner & Karl Rose in Jan '99 ?.
    And then wow, our big money saviour, was of course, none other than..... Mike Sheron.

Sheron worra technically gifted player but wo far too lazy to prove it week in week art

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Sheron worra technically gifted player but wo far too lazy to prove it week in week art
    Thats almost my point exactly Pass lol.
    For me, I dont think he/Sheron should even have been mentioned in the same sentence as Ashley Ward (let alone be the man who he effectively replaced).
    And when you think we got 4.5 mill for Ward, and Im still not sure what we spent on Sheron either... but that was another piece of appalling business by us as a club.
    Sell high and buy low eh, and expect them to improve while we have them, so we can at least sell them for a profit etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Thats almost my point exactly Pass lol.
    For me, I dont think he/Sheron should even have been mentioned in the same sentence as Ashley Ward (let alone be the man who he effectively replaced).
    And when you think we got 4.5 mill for Ward, and Im still not sure what we spent on Sheron either... but that was another piece of appalling business by us as a club.
    Sell high and buy low eh, and expect them to improve while we have them, so we can at least sell them for a profit etc.
    We upgraded the ground with the Ashley Ward money rather than the team

98/99 will always go down as a missed opportunity. Appoint the right man to replace Wilson in summer 98 and who knows where we'd be now?

Tony Bullock, Sean Mclare, Scott Jones, Turner just weren't good enough. Hendrie himself played on when he should have stepped aside for Fjortoft or Hristov.

Had we gone with the majority of the team that came down instead of going with plodders like Van de Laan we'd have been right.

Watson got injured what was up with Lars Leese? We could have played De Zeeuw and Markstedt at the back.

We lost Redfearn but went for Kevin Richardson ffs. I'd have rather played Sheridan and Tinkler in central midfield than Richardson and Van de Laan.

Turner and Mclare out wide when we had Bullock and Marcelle on the books. The mind boggles.

It's easy to see why Hendrie never managed again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast