+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our big money sales

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    We upgraded the ground with the Ashley Ward money rather than the team
    Ashley Ward money went on North Stand , Some say it was the Carl Tiler sale which paid for EastStand ?

All a legacy of the Dennis Family , although I'm not sure if the North Stand (away) should have been built with a larger capacity than the Ponty End ?
    At least we saw something concrete from the sales back then !!
    Unlike today's current board
    Last edited by Romared; 07-02-2020 at 08:57 AM.

When we sell Woodrow, Mowatt, Brown etc this summer following relegation tha can bet these charlatans al not spend owt building a new West Stand. A bronze statue of Dog artside the club shop maybe.

FREE Marlon Dingle

Am relieved Arthur ez finally told the truth abart his bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    When we sell Woodrow, Mowatt, Brown etc this summer following relegation tha can bet these charlatans al not spend owt building a new West Stand. A bronze statue of Dog artside the club shop maybe.

FREE Marlon Dingle

Am relieved Arthur ez finally told the truth abart his bullying.
    "Parndstretcha " sponsoring shirts next seerson wiv tu cuttus cloth thanos Dog not medda munny , Summats not reyt darn Theer ,

iz not sed owt to Jimmy yit tho , Laurens norrappy , no spadja fo Jai !!

Arrest yond Pierce
    wooly needs Marlon backin kitchen sharpish !

We won't see much of DOG will we for a while? won't he be confined to China till the Corona virus is under control? We don't want it spreading round Tarn maybe we will sell surgical face masks in club shop this weekend in case he turns up?

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Ashley Ward money went on North Stand , Some say it was the Carl Tiler sale which paid for EastStand ?

All a legacy of the Dennis Family , although I'm not sure if the North Stand (away) should have been built with a larger capacity than the Ponty End ?
    At least we saw something concrete from the sales back then !!
    Unlike today's current board
    Don't forget the huge sum spent by our new owners on the magnificent scoreboard

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    We won't see much of DOG will we for a while? won't he be confined to China till the Corona virus is under control? We don't want it spreading round Tarn maybe we will sell surgical face masks in club shop this weekend in case he turns up?
    I have on order, 3000. They are currently on their way from a subdivision of Chiens New City Capital ( recently acquired mind you...) in Wuhan .
    I’ll be selling them on Tuesday neet.

Be a great way to protest agains the board ��
    masks
    Last edited by Jules88; 07-02-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Hey guys it annoys me when people call us a 'selling club', and I think it makes it worse because begrudgingly, I/we know this and we have to accept that it IS true.

When have we ever sold a quality player, for so called good money, and then replaced them with somebody as or almost as good ?.

Remember when... David Currie went for about 700k. Carl Tiler went for about 1.5 mill AND Steve Agnew went for about 750k at the same time. Ashley Ward went for about 4.5 mill, and Conor Hourihanne & Sam Winnall both went for about £833 quid and a free monthly supply of cola bottle sweets.

And my question still is, have we ever replaced a quality player like those mentioned above for example, with somebody as good or at least almost as good ?.
    We got Gridelet dint we?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Don't forget the huge sum spent by our new owners on the magnificent scoreboard
    I'm not 100% sure Exile , but i thought The previous Owner assisted by Bullshyte Ben ( wish he were back ) sorted the new scoreboard ? A seem to remember him saying something about the strong winds around Oakwell making it not viable to have a larger screen , it was around the time when they wanted to change the club's crest ,
    The previous scoreboard was obtained by one of our former directors , he bought it from the New York Yankees as a gift ?
    The Dennis era had its good and bad points , however they were local business people who were fans and supported the team , they did their best , it just wasn't good enough in the end , and now we've this lot ,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    The previous Owner assisted by Bullshyte Ben ( wish he were back ) sorted the new scoreboard ? A seem to remember him saying something about the strong winds around Oakwell making it not viable to have a larger screen , ,,,,
    That's why he wo called Bullsh1t Ben. Strong winds my arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    98/99 will always go down as a missed opportunity. Appoint the right man to replace Wilson in summer 98 and who knows where we'd be now?. Tony Bullock, Sean Mclare, Scott Jones, Turner just weren't good enough. Hendrie himself played on when he should have stepped aside for Fjortoft or Hristov.
    Had we gone with the majority of the team that came down instead of going with plodders like Van de Laan we'd have been right.
    Watson got injured what was up with Lars Leese? We could have played De Zeeuw and Markstedt at the back.
    We lost Redfearn but went for Kevin Richardson ffs. I'd have rather played Sheridan and Tinkler in central midfield than Richardson and Van de Laan. Turner and Mclare out wide when we had Bullock and Marcelle on the books. The mind boggles.
    It's easy to see why Hendrie never managed again.
    Its actually more interesting Ponty, to chat about this sort of thing than the current state of affairs, under this appalling regime.

I totally agree about John Hendrie's time in management here, he was a rushed appointment to say the least. Although yes (Animal!) I do understand Danny Wilson let us down badly by doing what he did that summer.

But it quickly became clear he/Hendrie was a mistake and he was indeed responsible for us failing to get anywhere near our hopes of going strating back up or at least making it to the play offs in '98-99. In fact his only saving grace that season if we can call it that, was a neat little run to the Fa cup 5th round, where Tottenham & Ginola cheated/dived their way past us.

What was his fall out with Jan Fjortoft ?, that really was a let down for us and when we lost Ashley Ward, well the writing really was on the wall. Remember January that season, and we had Mike Turner and Karl Rose and flippin Don Goodman up front. None of them could hit a cows ar*se with a very big thing, and they all kept taking a swing at it and missing lol.

And my final piece of damning evidence here is he apparently had a fall out with Daz Barnard in November, and it was suggested he wanted to swap him with Carlton flippin Palmer!!. Then Daz played in the next game, a certain live game on Friday night against Huddersfield, and he scored an absolute worldy of a goal and his celebration showed how much he liked us as a club and a set of fans. Err, I rest my case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast