+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Artell and Oldham

Artell and Oldham

DA says he has no issue with Dino Maamria. Should he have? Did something happen in the past that I've forgotten about? Info please.
    As for the match itself, a few weeks ago I was relishing the fixture but now not so sure. I haven't really followed their run of 6 games but I did notice the win over Bradford. Anyone any idea what style of play they adopt?
    Will we concede first again (something, in terms of pulling the game back again, started away at Oldham, I think?)?
    Playing 'safe' and going for 2-1.
    However I do not expect us to achieve maximum points from our 2 home games. 😞

KL may have a bigger issue with him that DA - but tbh he seems to be the one who has issues with us at his last club.

Stems from our 2 wins against Stevenage last season when Maamria was manager; in both matches they had a player sent off which he thought was unjust and he reckoned Big Dave was influential in that happening - plus they lost each match 1-0, how sad.

Either way, Dave and Kenny will have enjoyed the last minute today rather more than Maamria who will doubtless have a right old moan about 7 extra minutes, despite two lengthy injuries and more time wasting than you could shake the proverbial stick at.

Zeus de la Paz is hardly a god though is he?

Should have shot at him a bit more perhaps - no, a right dodgy keeper! What a finish!

Definitely a dodgy keeper but take anything away from Jonah who picked his spot.
    Great game. I enjoyed that win soooooo much more than many of 4+ goal wins. So sweet that Oldham got everything they deserved.
    Oldham fans were rightly livid about their performance and scathing about Maamria's bringing on of a striker with 15 seconds to go.😁
    Thought Wintle was majestic today. Also good to see Jonah playing something like his old self and in his best role in the team. Offord has fitted in so easily- so calm and very positive in his play out from the back - makes you feel confident for the future. Charlie wasn't MOTM but he can have it for that goal😁😁😁😁.

I forgot to mention that I think Nottingham had his best game yet.

I was about to say Nottingham was my MotM - every cross or long throw seemed to be met by his head and he cleared it out every time; read the game better than usual too and, as you rightly say, Offord was calmness personified and you hardly knew he was there. I’ve come to expect Wintle to run the game, much as he did today - outstanding as usual and it’s still ironic that he got MotM for his least effective performance!

Like you, gazan, I wouldn’t have given the award to Charlie when it was announced (although he was pretty effective and a menace to them), but if they waited until the referee blew his whistle for the last time then it was Charlie - wouldn’t have mattered what he’d done for the previous 96 minutes he’d have earned for the ecstasy he brought to 3 sides of the ground; can’t remember anything like it since Jordan Bowery’s back heel against Stevenage in the 92nd a couple of seasons back. I guess it’s sooooo satisfying to beat those that stretch the rules to breaking point and get stung at the very last - marvellous.

A word about Walker too - looked a player and to the manner born; excellent loan signing. Things are looking good.

Thanks for clearing it up about DA and Dino Maamria, I wondered what those comments were about at the time.

It certainly, was an entertaining game, and the last gasp winner was well deserved, especially with the amount of time wasting. Why they were trying to waste time at the start of the 2nd half when the score is 1-1 is anyone’s guess. All the more sweeter that it came back to bite them in the 97 minute.

I thought most of the team played well today, especially with the wind making it difficult. For me our standout players were Nottingham and Wintle. Charlie shouldn’t have been man of the match as mentioned above, but his goal did make the decision more credible.

I also like the look of Walker who seems to be a handy addition. It was good to see him run at the Oldham defence. Just wondering if he could possibly cope in the number 9 roll. Whilst he isn’t in the Porter or Anene mould a more mobile focal point to our attacks could offer something different to our attacks especially as Porter isn't fully fit and Anene had to go off injured.

All in all a good result, and another 3 point against suborn opposition. Lets hope Powell and Anene are fit again for Tuesday night.

If Anene isn’t fit on Tuesday I would expect Walker to start in the middle; he’s a tall lad, technically good (the ball stuck to his feet when played to him) and quick. He’s obviously a bit different as he liked to take the ball on the half turn and run from his defender into space - this is far from a bad thing but it’ll be interesting to see if he does take that position and how he and we adjust if he does.

One more thing came out of the match - the good judgement of the management. Firstly to recognise Offord was ready for the first team, seemingly from nowhere - 3 starts, 3 wins and made it look easy. Secondly to stick with Jonah; the match suited him and he was still going to the last showing great stamina. Finally bringing Ainley on for Finney, who had been excellent by the way; fresh legs and his trickery, combining with Pixie and Kirk down the left tore them to shreds so that Charlie was able to slalom through some very tired players to get the winner. Well played Dave and Kenny!!!

One thing that did worry me was after Jones scored none of the players rushed over to him