+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent

Free Agent

Tommy Smith, 29, ex Ipswich and more recently Colorado Rapids, played for the U23s today.
    Lost 3 nil

Izzit the hard nutter who laiked in Liverpool's back four ?

It's a measure of the least successful transfer windows in BFC history that we are now scraping the bottom of the free agent barrel.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 07-02-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Lots of Championship experience with Ipswich but is injury prone, still has to be better than what we have? Sat in the medical room he’s better than Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzer1953 View Post
    Tommy Smith, 29, ex Ipswich and more recently Colorado Rapids, played for the U23s today.
    Lost 3 nil
    Big Dayne and Conway probably think he’s the ex Huddersfield player....... Not...
    Been conned again

How is this guy a better option than Jake Wright? . . . . . . . oh yeah - he's cheaper!!

Quote Originally Posted by french_frog01 View Post
    How is this guy a better option than Jake Wright? . . . . . . . oh yeah - he's cheaper!!
    Smith is 4 years younger with nearly all his games played at Championship level.Most of Wrights games have been played at league One level.I would imagine Smiths value being far greater than Wrights.

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    Smith is 4 years younger with nearly all his games played at Championship level.Most of Wrights games have been played at league One level.I would imagine Smiths value being far greater than Wrights.
    Ok Bill, maybe I jumped the gun a bit there and fired from the hip. You're right that Smith is younger and did play a hefty amount of games for Ipswich at this level. However he only played 11 times in the 2016/17 season, and 3 times in the 2017/18 season due to injuries. He then obvously joined Colorado and they took the decision to "decline the contract options for him to stay at the club" in November 2019. The injuries are a concern and if his previous club have intentionally let him go we should be careful. But saying that I'd rather them explore options that have experience, even if it was some time ago now.

Regards Jake Wright he would just be a short term option - but exactly what we need right now!

Quote Originally Posted by french_frog01 View Post
    Ok Bill, maybe I jumped the gun a bit there and fired from the hip. You're right that Smith is younger and did play a hefty amount of games for Ipswich at this level. However he only played 11 times in the 2016/17 season, and 3 times in the 2017/18 season due to injuries. He then obvously joined Colorado and they took the decision to "decline the contract options for him to stay at the club" in November 2019. The injuries are a concern and if his previous club have intentionally let him go we should be careful. But saying that I'd rather them explore options that have experience, even if it was some time ago now.

Regards Jake Wright he would just be a short term option - but exactly what we need right now!
    He played 60 games for Colorado in about20 months so fitness problems seem have gone.It's quite possible financial reasons for his contract not to be renewed in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    he played 60 games for colorado in about20 months so fitness problems seem have gone.it's quite possible financial reasons for his contract not to be renewed in the states.
    sign him up, sign him up

Playing devils advocate here, you could actually say that Mr Smith's injuries co-incided with Ipswich performing poorly in defence which led to their relegation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast