+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What major honours were we genuinely robbed of?

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Yes true but just talking about finals only that we were robbed of winning on the day, we have been in 18 major finals

Those are the only three I genuinely think decisions are why we didn't bring the cups home
    When i say that our major honour count should be about 10 i should clarify that i do not think we were robbed of 5 trophies its just that there were finals we should have won with the team we had but failed to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    When i say that our major honour count should be about 10 i should clarify that i do not think we were robbed of 5 trophies its just that there were finals we should have won with the team we had but failed to do so.
    Totally agree GB.

My Grandad used to always tell me stories about this game and how we were robbed.

Funnily enough, another dodgy disallowed goal went against us!

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=4447

Also, some impressive player stats, Arthur Milne, Games 111, Goals 109.
    Last edited by tartanarab; 11-02-2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: forgot to add detail

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=4447

I've got a photo of that game. You can see by the players' body language that we should have won.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Looking at all our finals... Which should really read Dundee United that do not due to horrendous decisions as opposed to just messing it up on the day or not turning up or being well beaten

For me there are 'just' three

1981 League Cup Final vs Rangers
    1-0 up a Luggy scores one of the best Cup final goals you'll see 25 yards thunderbolt into top corner to make it 2-0, disgracefully disallowed.. it changed the game completely, We lose 2-1

1987 Scottish Cup Final vs St Mirren
    Score a perfectly good goal in normal time, disgracefully disallowed, St Mirren win it in extra time.. Which is not a surprise as we would have been fatigued giving it was fixture 66 in the season and sandwiched between the uefa final

2008 League Cup Final vs Rangers
    1-0 midway through the second half, we're by far the better side on the day at that point when Cuellar impedes, fouls and wrestles Kalvenes in the box to prevent him getting in on goal, as blatant a pen as you'll ever see, Kenny Clark the ref disgracefully barely acknowledged it, they were not coming back from 2-0 that day and the Kerr backpass didn't happen.. this one slightly less as you can't say for sure we'd score the pen but Hunt was dispatching them that season and had opened the scoring.. The emotions that say are hard to describe, experienced it all, the best Utd final support I've been in in terms of atmosphere and noise (on the back of THAT semi vs the sheep at Tynecastle) , the celebrations at the devries goal wow, the despair at the end, still never been as sick after any game before or after, not even close.. 2010 did numb this though.
    The first and the last ones absolutely as in both cases we were well in control and it was the direct (or lack of it ) intervention of the Hun with the Whistle that changed the whole complexity of both those games.

St Mirren though? Yeh we would’ve/could’ve/should’ve won if that goal is given but unlike the other two frankly we didn’t deserve it as we had never been ‘in control’. Neither had St Mirren. It was singularly the most awful and depressing 120 minutes watching United in what was a turgid borefest. A team that had scaled such unbelievable heights that season unfortunately proved they'd gone to the well once too often and that they simply had nothing more to give. They were knackered and it was depressing yet tragic at the same time. Especially as we all knew that that St Mirren team was god awful.

My worst moment ever as an Arab and I don’t think it will ever be beaten. Thank God.

Good post James. I always enjoy your contributions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)