+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Saturday vs. Woking is a 'Football vs. Homophobia' Dedicated Game

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Ah yes, please refer to the other 45 games we'll play this season for those
    We still have 45 games to play?

Seriously though DF, how can you "dedicate" a game? What will be different? What will happen? A minute's silence? Or applause? It's not going to prick anybody's conscience, is it? Dedicating this or that game to anything is as pointless as holding a vigil outside a church after a disaster, and will achieve as much. We'll all go home after the game and think no more of this dedication than we did before the game kicked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    I don't want to be anal about this (no jokes please guys), but this is just another example of how the English Language has been hijacked by illiterates.

'Homo' is a Latin prefix that refers to man, as in mankind.
    'Phobia' is a morbid fear of something.

Therefore Homophobia literally means 'Fear of mankind'. That is closer to an odd case of paranoia rather than, formally, hating homos e x uals and recently meaning everybody who isn't heteros e x ual.

What people who feel they need to fight the corner of non-heteros e x uals should be doing is holding placards up against all bigotry in society. To be honest, I don't think I have ever been to a football match and pondered whether someone is straight, gay, lesbian, non-binary or an avid follower of bestiality. I am more concerned about whether they can play football or not.
    Let's put this right, Lullapie.

Homo is a Latin word that means man, or human. When it is used as a prefix, as in "homo***ual," it comes from the Greek word homos, meaning the same. It is from the word "homo***ual" that the noun homo is shortened and takes its second meaning — a derogatory term for a homo***ual or gay man.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 12-02-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    No, we don't have a clue about selling pebble crushing machines.

Oops sorry, getting my bigots mixed up!
    Of course you don't ....... You were a *menial worker don't forget

No, I am the King of Bigots, never forget that.

* Adjective (of work) "Not requiring much skill and lacking prestige"

*Noun (of work) " Usually a poorly educated person lacking in ambition happy to undertake simple tasks under supervision".

There is no quick fix for discrimination of all kinds unfortunately. It all starts when you're young and what you're exposed to....of course, once you're an adult you're responsible for your own actions but getting a reasoned and compassionate start in life must certainly help.

Fortunately as a whole I do feel that society has become much more open and accepting of all types and sizes even in the time I have been on the planet. Britain should be proud of how open minded we are becoming as it illustrates that on certain levels we are doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Let's put this right, Lullapie.

Homo is a Latin word that means man, or human. When it is used as a prefix, as in "homo***ual," it comes from the Greek word homos, meaning the same. It is from the word "homo***ual" that the noun homo is shortened and takes its second meaning — a derogatory term for a homo***ual or gay man.
    Hey Lefty ........ Do you want me to send you that book? I haven't had a response so far.

Some people getting suspiciously annoyed by this...

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Of course you don't ....... You were a *menial worker don't forget

No, I am the King of Bigots, never forget that.

* Adjective (of work) "Not requiring much skill and lacking prestige"

*Noun (of work) " Usually a poorly educated person lacking in ambition happy to undertake simple tasks under supervision".
    Don't worry, I know my place. I can only look on with envy and utter admiration at those* who sold pebble crushing machines.

* I do sometimes wonder however if all pebble crushing machine salesmen are patronising arseholes, or if it's just you.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Hey Lefty ........ Do you want me to send you that book? I haven't had a response so far.
    Thanks but no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Some people getting suspiciously annoyed by this...
    Hahaha. This.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    We still have 45 games to play?

Seriously though DF, how can you "dedicate" a game? What will be different? What will happen? A minute's silence? Or applause? It's not going to prick anybody's conscience, is it? Dedicating this or that game to anything is as pointless as holding a vigil outside a church after a disaster, and will achieve as much. We'll all go home after the game and think no more of this dedication than we did before the game kicked off.
    It's already gotten people discussing the topic the week before.

Even if it shows 1 person that we as a club show openness and tackle any form of hate, to feel a little more confident in coming to matches it'll be worth it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast