+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Notts County rumour, that remained just a rumour.......

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    They're all during the Munto season. Roberto Carlos?
    Not actually True !

It was less than two years ago the national papers were reporting that our chairman was in discussions to sign ex Spain international Diego Capel for a reported 15k a week !

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post

Surely the best actual unfulfilled "rumour" of all was the one that linked us with David Beckham that same season, which was reported a few times by the national media (he was even questioned about it on Sky Sports) but never had any real truth to it.
    I think the basis for that story was a comment made by Sven, something like "Wouldn't it be great if he (Beckham) were to finish his career here at Notts County?". As far I know that was the last of it.

Not so much rumours but ridiculous quotes that had as much gravitas as a rumour;

"Future England Manager"
    "Championship in five years"
    "You're in for a treat"

etc, etc.

Oh and was also at a business event at Meadow Lane when Jim Rodwell announced that a friendly against England had been agreed to mark 150 year celebrations . . . I know there had been some communication with the FA regarding this, can anyone recall why it didn't happen?

Mark Hateley was linked with us (more than once I think) because his dad had played here and Pavis was keen on the idea.

David Pleat's name came up when we were looking for a new manager after Warniock had been sacked. Mick Walker did very well but Pleat almost certainly would have been better in the longer term.

Not a rumour at the time but Pavis did speak to Brian Clough who turned him down and we ended up with Howard Kendall instead.

I remember reading in a national Sunday newspaper in the mid 1970's that Denis Law, when he left Man U, had discussions with Notts before he joined Man City. Anyone know anything about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Biker9999 View Post
    I remember reading in a national Sunday newspaper in the mid 1970's that Denis Law, when he left Man U, had discussions with Notts before he joined Man City. Anyone know anything about that?
    And wasn't there talk that we wanted Kevin Keegan at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Roberto Mancini coming to Notts during the Munto era. It could have been, but never was.

I was really excited about this as I've always been a big fan of his music, like The Pink Panther Theme.
    Ffs. Is your life really this empty?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    And wasn't there talk that we wanted Kevin Keegan at one time?
    This wasn't just a rumour it was a fact stated by Bill Shankley, Liverpool's manager and a gentleman.

The story goes that Jimmy Sirrel wanted to sign a promising young winger, name of Kevin Keegan, from SKunthorpe Utd. But the Notts chairman, Jack Dunnett was reluctant to pay the £35,000 asking price until he had had another look at him. Meantime, while Notts were humming and aah-ing, in the background Shankley was also interested in signing Keegan but felt obliged to stand back and allow Notts the first chance to sign him as Sirrel was the first manager to show interest. Things stood still for a short time, SKunthorpe grew impatient and told Liverpool to make their move, they did and signed him. The rest, as they say, is geography.

When Bill Shankley later told the story to the press he was polite enough not to mention Notts County, he just said "...a Nottingham club...".
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 12-02-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Oh and was also at a business event at Meadow Lane when Jim Rodwell announced that a friendly against England had been agreed to mark 150 year celebrations . . . I know there had been some communication with the FA regarding this, can anyone recall why it didn't happen?
    This was all agreed other than actually signing it to make it official but the FA decided against it because their anniversary was coming up not too long after and they didn't want to take anything away from that.

During the Munto season one of the rumours was we were trying to sign a relatively unknown young Chilean forward - Eduardo Vargas. He went on to have a pretty solid career after narrowly avoiding us https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Vargas

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast