+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brereton and Samuel

Lots of that is just simply wrong.
    I wrote in another post that Armstrong was one of our best players on the day, but it is true that his miss looked like being costly until Lenihan scrambled one in. That wasn't a criticism of Armstrong. It was a simple fact! Another example: Buckley looked very good on Saturday, but in a couple of the earlier matches where he featured, the game passed him by.
    As for Williams, he was Player of the Season in his first full year with us. That was the evidence I was using to illustrate his consistency - and he's still only 27! If Lenihan, Tosin or Bell was missing, would you really put an untested U-23 player in, instead of DW, in a situation where we still had a chance of a play-off place?
    My main complaint is that you just write players off completely. You did it with Downing, Rothwell and Johnson. Now, they are all being praised.
    My overall point, anyway, is that players come in and out of form. If you chuck them out altogether because they've had a poor run, you probably wouldn't have a team left! (Dack had a run of five or six matches at one point where he just couldn't get into the game).
    And I simply don't accept as realistic the idea that rejecting many of the experienced pros, and replacing them with unproven youngsters is going to give us greater likelihood of promotion.
    My own preferred starting XI would not have Bennett, Mulgrew - or Johnson - in it, but I'm certainly not going down the road of saying those players are useless and have nothing to contribute. With Graham, it would depend on the opposition. In games where we need a traditional No.9, to me, he still looks better suited to the role - at the moment - than Gallagher or Brereton. Again, purely a factual response to what I've seen, although Dack is the only player who seems to read DG effectively.
    Next season is a different kettle of fish, because I suspect we will see a number of the seniors moving on in the summer. I actually have grave doubts that Brereton will make it, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. It did worry me, though, that Samuel came in after all that time out, and put in a far more rounded, accomplished performance than any we have seen from BB.

As for your wider point about challenging your opinions, what am I supposed to do? Agree with you in posts on here, although I don't in reality? Surely, fans-forums are all about discussion and argument - not patting each other on the back. For example, I was simply not going to go past your comments about Downing a month or so ago, because I thought they were wrong in a major way!

If it's becoming a pain to everyone (and it clearly was for Seventwo), I will simply leave the site, but I am certainly not going to post "Yes, yes, yes," when I disagree with the contents of a post.
    And the fact is, I never DID get a satisfactory answer on the subject that prompted him to leave. That is, whether the evidence showed that changing the team regularly was really the major or only contributory factor in our run of poor results at the time. Since then, the team has been altered quite dramatically on a weekly basis , and we are on a good run, so the question is still open!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Lots of that is just simply wrong.
    I wrote in another post that Armstrong was one of our best players on the day, but it is true that his miss looked like being costly until Lenihan scrambled one in. That wasn't a criticism of Armstrong. It was a simple fact! Another example: Buckley looked very good on Saturday, but in a couple of the earlier matches where he featured, the game passed him by.
    As for Williams, he was Player of the Season in his first full year with us. That was the evidence I was using to illustrate his consistency - and he's still only 27! If Lenihan, Tosin or Bell was missing, would you really put an untested U-23 player in, instead of DW, in a situation where we still had a chance of a play-off place?
    My main complaint is that you just write players off completely. You did it with Downing, Rothwell and Johnson. Now, they are all being praised.
    My overall point, anyway, is that players come in and out of form. If you chuck them out altogether because they've had a poor run, you probably wouldn't have a team left! (Dack had a run of five or six matches at one point where he just couldn't get into the game).
    And I simply don't accept as realistic the idea that rejecting many of the experienced pros, and replacing them with unproven youngsters is going to give us greater likelihood of promotion.
    My own preferred starting XI would not have Bennett, Mulgrew - or Johnson - in it, but I'm certainly not going down the road of saying those players are useless and have nothing to contribute. With Graham, it would depend on the opposition. In games where we need a traditional No.9, to me, he still looks better suited to the role - at the moment - than Gallagher or Brereton. Again, purely a factual response to what I've seen, although Dack is the only player who seems to read DG effectively.
    Next season is a different kettle of fish, because I suspect we will see a number of the seniors moving on in the summer. I actually have grave doubts that Brereton will make it, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. It did worry me, though, that Samuel came in after all that time out, and put in a far more rounded, accomplished performance than any we have seen from BB.

As for your wider point about challenging your opinions, what am I supposed to do? Agree with you in posts on here, although I don't in reality? Surely, fans-forums are all about discussion and argument - not patting each other on the back. For example, I was simply not going to go past your comments about Downing a month or so ago, because I thought they were wrong in a major way!

If it's becoming a pain to everyone (and it clearly was for Seventwo), I will simply leave the site, but I am certainly not going to post "Yes, yes, yes," when I disagree with the contents of a post.
    And the fact is, I never DID get a satisfactory answer on the subject that prompted him to leave. That is, whether the evidence showed that changing the team regularly was really the major or only contributory factor in our run of poor results at the time. Since then, the team has been altered quite dramatically on a weekly basis , and we are on a good run, so the question is still open!
    Brereton was excellent again when he came on during Sat's game. I can certainly see s player there.

I'm not saying you should leave. You are a decent guy. I know that.
    I just feel everything I say is wrong and pulled apart. I feel a bit stressed and doubt myself. Maybe you are right, I just feel like I am being told I am an idiot quite alot. And I like you, just say what I see.

Champs - I just don't see it like that.
    Expressing opinions is what these sites are all about, and we aren't all going to see things the same.
    I still think football is best taken a game at a time, because any attempt to generalise often gets turned on its head later.
    On the Telegraph site, for example, it's all gone quiet on a) don't change the team, and b) always play people in their "best" positions.
    Recent events have shown that we can put out very different line-ups and get results, as long as we have a stable, confident defensive line-up.
    Even there, once confidence is established, it should be possible to make one change (in the event of a Lenihan suspension, for example) without too much disruption. The modern game is about squads rather than teams.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)