+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need a restart...

We need a restart...

After an okay first half, that second half was appalling. It was arguably even more concerning than the Accies collapse because then the players were individually awful, this was a structural issue where our 4-3-3, with the players we had, was woefully exposed. And Robinson couldn't or wouldn't change it except with like for like substitutes, the second one being a total liability, despite watching St Johnstone (!) set up camp on our box for 40 minutes.

As much as the midfield was overrun, it was not particularly their fault. The front three were hopeless to the extent we were basically playing defence v attack with eight men for long spells. That trio didn't track back, our midfield three were totally outmanned and when we scrambled the ball back, the defence saw they were in no position to take the ball so go long. Except we have neither a target man nor anyone capable of properly running in behind so the ball immediately comes back, minus our front three tracking, and the cycle repeats.

We were not world beaters before Christmas and we are not relegation fodder now. But the guys who really lifted us up late last year - Gillespie, Gallagher, Polworth - have all faded to various extents.

Worst case, we finish in the top six so it's hardly worth a total meltdown. Returning to your 'true' position after a strong start is never pleasant but that'll be happening bloody quickly unless we come up with a plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    After an okay first half, that second half was appalling. It was arguably even more concerning than the Accies collapse because then the players were individually awful, this was a structural issue where our 4-3-3, with the players we had, was woefully exposed. And Robinson couldn't or wouldn't change it except with like for like substitutes, the second one being a total liability, despite watching St Johnstone (!) set up camp on our box for 40 minutes.

As much as the midfield was overrun, it was not particularly their fault. The front three were hopeless to the extent we were basically playing defence v attack with eight men for long spells. That trio didn't track back, our midfield three were totally outmanned and when we scrambled the ball back, the defence saw they were in no position to take the ball so go long. Except we have neither a target man nor anyone capable of properly running in behind so the ball immediately comes back, minus our front three tracking, and the cycle repeats.

We were not world beaters before Christmas and we are not relegation fodder now. But the guys who really lifted us up late last year - Gillespie, Gallagher, Polworth - have all faded to various extents.

Worst case, we finish in the top six so it's hardly worth a total meltdown. Returning to your 'true' position after a strong start is never pleasant but that'll be happening bloody quickly unless we come up with a plan B.
    Wasn't there tonight, but going by your critique (and previous recent performances), something is putting us into 'reverse' gear. Playing a midfield 3 certainly leaves us exposed. Time for a rethink? Yes! Saturday is now a massive game, both in terms of the League, and for the Cup. If we don't hand St Mirren a defeat, they'll pitch up for the replay full of confidence.

On the basis that all our wingers are currently awful, I would scrap the plan for width...perhaps play Aarons at the top of a diamond and tell him to go wherever, or give that to Polworth and hope less defensive duty helps him snap back to form. Whatever, we should certainly go back to four in central midfield with either Long and a winger or another 'striker' - I use the term loosely - alongside him. God knows who that would be though.

On the basis that all our wingers are currently awful, I would scrap the plan for width...perhaps play Aarons at the top of a diamond and tell him to go wherever, or give that to Polworth and hope less defensive duty helps him snap back to form. Whatever, we should certainly go back to four in central midfield with either Long and a winger or another 'striker' - I use the term loosely - alongside him. God knows who that would be though.
    Was the enigma that is Mr Anthony Watt performing tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Was the enigma that is Mr Anthony Watt performing tonight?
    He was on the pitch. Performing? Hmm.

He had one good run to hold the ball up but otherwise looked slow and heavy. I wouldn't write him off yet but he looks three-four weeks off being sharp enough to contribute rather than just needing a couple of runs from the bench.

He was on the pitch. Performing? Hmm.

He had one good run to hold the ball up but otherwise looked slow and heavy. I wouldn't write him off yet but he looks three-four weeks off being sharp enough to contribute rather than just needing a couple of runs from the bench.
    That's just a wee bit different from Sir Steve's appraisal then ... paraphrasing, but it went along the lines of 'he's sharp, fit, hungry and he'll do us a turn'.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    That's just a wee bit different from Sir Steve's appraisal then ... paraphrasing, but it went along the lines of 'he's sharp, fit, hungry and he'll do us a turn'.
    Re-phrase ...’He’s blunt in attack, partially fit, over weight and do someone lower leagues a turn’. Hence why we have when every team looking No9 never considered.
    Not until Robinson realises like the majority of fans (Steelmen Online) Hylton & Seedorf are NOT the answer but yet he plays either and both on occasion.
    Last edited by dasdeid; 13-02-2020 at 07:39 AM.

I like Robinson talking about the bigger picture, he comes across as smart and understanding of our situation.

Day to day though, it's simply waste of time to listen to him. All managers adopt a different line to the public to some extent but he takes it to a different level. It's only last week he said on Tuesday we were just helping watt, that changed in a day and we signe him on Friday.

Similarly there's no way I believe his analysis of the game last night to be his honest appraisal but he clearly thinks keeping calm rather than shouting the best way to turn things round.

I think we're now seeing a reverse of last season in that when back then we had a poor first half of the season and a better second half, this time it's the other way around. Losing Scott in January and failing to address the strike force and adequately replace him is going to be our downfall I fear. We have no threat in that team and minus Scott we now have no one capable of beating players and holding up the ball. We are so one dimensional and sides have inevitably cottoned on to this and you struggle to see where goals will come from at the moment.

IMO the next two games against St. Mirren will determine our season, lose both and I can honestly see us finish out the top six. Win both and everyone will get a huge lift with getting three points and into the quarter finals of the cup. We have to go to a 4-4-2 formation as the opposition are learning to exploit us down the flanks as our wingers do NOT track back to supplement the midfield.these leads to either of our full backs having to face/mark two players. I also feel it is imperative we score first in these games and then go on to get a second goal instead of dropping further and further back into our half trying to hang on for a 1-0 victory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)