+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't football any more

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    To be honest CAM I never wanted VAR , but officials seemed to be getting more than a few things wrong and needed help, and whatever anyone else thinks it is getting better IMO.
    I do think it needs tweaking again, and I personally would like them to flip the rule on offsides to say if any part of the player is ONSIDE (toenail included), then the goal should stand, after all it's all about goals.
    I do take the points you put , certainly about TV running the game though.
    I agree the rule is at fault not the technology. As a complete armchair fan I like the technology but understand it's ruining the live experience, especially the delays. As WCM points out, they'll get it right with a bit more time.

Whichever direction you go with VAR off side rulings, whether clear daylight or toe off side, it will still come down to 1cm. If you draw a line, you are either in front of or behind that point.

Good point wanchai. You will still be measuring mms either way

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Whichever direction you go with VAR off side rulings, whether clear daylight or toe off side, it will still come down to 1cm. If you draw a line, you are either in front of or behind that point.
    Absolutely. There are certainly things wrong with var but I cannot understand the constant whinging on the lines of "just a toenail offside". One side of the line you are offside, the other side you are onside. It's absolutely simple and the one thing var should always resolve. You can't rule, for example, that it's only offside if it's at least a foot offside - all you've got then is a different line, as you have in Ronners suggestion. There's a lot at stake in getting the decisions right. Managers, fans and pundits should stop moaning because a var decision is right but only just right.

All this has highlighted to me is. Wolves and Swansea game. We should have had VAR a long time ago.

If you look at var for offside alone that leads to a goal, wether it's 1mm or 1 yard offside. I bet over 99% of the decision are correct.
    If you go back 2 years it would be in the 80 percent. Long term it has to be a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    All this has highlighted to me is. Wolves and Swansea game. We should have had VAR a long time ago.

If you look at var for offside alone that leads to a goal, wether it's 1mm or 1 yard offside. I bet over 99% of the decision are correct.
    If you go back 2 years it would be in the 80 percent. Long term it has to be a positive.
    Might be OK for TV (how long before they start slipping adverts in while we wait for the VAR decisions?) but not good for spectators at the ground.

Could this be like the rugby schism and one day there will be two codes of association football, one with VAR and one without?

I don't think the Villa fans understand the concept. They are singing it even when VAR gets a penalty decision right.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Might be OK for TV (how long before they start slipping adverts in while we wait for the VAR decisions?) but not good for spectators at the ground.

Could this be like the rugby schism and one day there will be two codes of association football, one with VAR and one without?
    We already have adverts during the Premiership games here in the US so used to that. VAR will obviously never make it down to grass roots level football so that schism already exists as it does in all other sports utilising technology at the highest (= money driven) levels.

Here's a radical idea. Maybe everyone could accept the officials decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Here's a radical idea. Maybe everyone could accept the officials decisions?
    That's a great idea but what if gwru was the ref?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast