+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Probably the biggest club in the league" Probably?

"Probably the biggest club in the league" Probably?

JOB, observing that other teams raise their game against us, is quoted as saying we're probably the biggest club in the league.

I wonder which clubs are giving him cause to doubt that we're actually the biggest? Off the top of my head I can think of a dozen that have never played any higher than this, and thus never in the Football League. Have any of the rest ever spent much time in the top flight, or even been there at all? We have a ground that wouldn't need much doing to it if we were to be playing in the Championship or even the Premiership. Southampton were in the top flight for years in the old Dell with a capacity of not much more than 15000 and Bournemouth's capacity is less than that.

It's articles/statements like this that make me wonder if the players actually do understand our expectations. After all, they're now playing at National League level and may just as well have found themselves at Chorley, or Dover.

I took it that he was simply trying not to behave like Florist fan.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I took it that he was simply trying not to behave like Florist fan.
    Granted I wouldn't want him (or any of us) to come across like that, but I'm not sure just missing out the 'probably' would have put us in that bracket.

Wrexham could argue they are a club of comparable size.
    If they were in or around the play off zone, they would equal our home crowds, maybe even better them.
    They brought 1500 to Notts on a Sunday, will we take anywhere near that to The Racecourse?

Stockport brought 1100 on a Tuesday night. They always travel well too.

Notts are historically a bigger club but credit to them.

Had it been a couple of season ago, Grimsby. Lincoln (bigger fanbase ?), Tranmere, Oxford etc, all very similar to Notts.

I hate these type of claims, and it makes the so called bigger clubs more of a scalp.

Barrow and Harrogate are tiny by comparison, historically, but check the league table, means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Granted I wouldn't want him (or any of us) to come across like that, but I'm not sure just missing out the 'probably' would have put us in that bracket.
    True.

It is tragic that yourselves and Wrexham are where you are. I remember Wrexham being in the old second division and competing regularly in Europe. This was in the 60s. They used to win the welsh cup to qualify. Whatever happened to that? When I lived in Brum I went to many games at Wrexham to watch Cambridge.

Their fans are passionate, the ground is mind blowing. Wrexham being where they are is a footballing tragedy on the scale of the titanic. What is even worse now is that they are struggling against relegation.

They have been non league now for countless years, they may never get out. County are in the grasp of a multi tentacled beast that will devour you.

You must escape ASAP. Cambridge got out because we had the right men in place the manager and chairman. The important one from those two was the chairman.

Best of luck. I will look forward to visiting the county ground soon, and sampling your married ladies again, last time it was seven in three hours.

A special thanks to Annabel from Bolsover.

Rog.