+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please can we drop Bartley

Why is Bartley always signalled out as our scapegoat .Yes he had a difficult start to his baggies career not helped by the suicidal tactics of our international coach Jones. He found himself back in the team towards the back end of the season and showed that he had a future at this club despite all the ****e everyone had thrown at him. This season he has developed an excellent partnership with Ajayi that Billic trusts. I hear that Hegazi should replace immediately? Why, in the games he's played he looks totally disinterested and wants out of here. We are 7 points clear and will get better, yes I was pissed off walking back to the car but it wasn't Bartleys fault.Albie

I think the keepers lack of domination in the 6 yard box is directly responsible for the loss vs Forrest needs a big giddy up from Bilic.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrera View Post
    I agree Diangana loss impacted us. Ferguson less so imo. But I just think there is something wrong with Hegazi playing. Can’t put my finger on it. We just look more together as a team when he’s not playing.
    Isn’t it interesting and part of our love of the game, that we have differing opinions- but all focussed on our team’s success. For my part, I believe the team look more disjointed with Bartley playing. I consider his constant pointing and ‘hands in the air’ gesticulating, seems to be apportioning blame and thereby having an adverse reaction on team spirit.

Notwithstanding Barrera buddy, we are at one wishing to see us progress !

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Isn’t it interesting and part of our love of the game, that we have differing opinions- but all focussed on our team’s success. For my part, I believe the team look more disjointed with Bartley playing. I consider his constant pointing and ‘hands in the air’ gesticulating, seems to be apportioning blame and thereby having an adverse reaction on team spirit.

Notwithstanding Barrera buddy, we are at one wishing to see us progress !
    Prando I seem to remember that like me you reversed the way you felt about Bartley last season, we both have been very impressed with him this season. I don't understand the about turn again? He's been well in control for the best part.

I have to admit that I too was extremely critical of Bartley at first. However, I believe that he and Ajayi are now the best combination. Hegazi has looked poor on the occasions that he has played and fully understand why Bilic has not selected him. Bartley is often unfairly made the scapegoat when things go wrong. Saturday's defeat wasn't his fault so give him some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Prando I seem to remember that like me you reversed the way you felt about Bartley last season, we both have been very impressed with him this season. I don't understand the about turn again? He's been well in control for the best part.
    Not really ‘an about turn’ boingy buddy...I have always been happy to be complimentary of his defensive heading ability, but always nervous about his positional sense and overall defensive quality. I believe we concurred that this season was undoubtedly an improvement on his initial performances.
    However, I have always criticised his constant pointing which, for me, seems to pass responsibility. Typically having made a short forward pass out of defence.
    Thereafter, he often gesticulates with upturned hands to his colleagues, effectively apportioning blame elsewhere. A trait often greeted with annoyance from his team.
    But, I am always happy to recognise ability and clearly he wins the majority of defensive headers and deserves credit in that area.
    On balance I would choose Hegazi over him, particularly in view of Bartley’s recent form.
    In my opinion, we need a strong central defender with organisational experience. I can but hope !
    It all opinions though, and great that we may chat, agree, disagree etc.
    We must have a beer sometime ?

Both Hegazi and Bartley as well has Livermoore played last season with injuries requiring surgery, to their credit Gibbs would have a month off with a running nose. Hegazi put country before club and played in the African games and had his op in September.
    I would choose Bartley over Hegazi, both have a mistake in them but Hegazi wants out. Would rather have a player who wants to be here any day.

Hegazi is a pile of steaming s h I t.

I’d rather play a traffic cone than that useless c hunt.

I think Bartley is okay, just. But I would probably replace him with Hegazi.

I think he has the attributes to be a great centre half, he's got size and strength. He gets stuck in, his passing is okay-ish...

His main two drawbacks, and the reason he won't ever be a brilliant defender, are is his brain and his positioning. He does things I can't explain, like handle the ball well above his head against Reading. I also thought he was at fault with bad positioning for his own goal on Saturday, and this was just a few minutes after he let Grabben have a free header he should have buried.

I reckon he's okay for this league, he'll have a few rickets in him but generally speaking not too bad. But he will get genuinely found out against top, top strikers. Unless he can somehow overcome those drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I think Bartley is okay, just. But I would probably replace him with Hegazi.

I think he has the attributes to be a great centre half, he's got size and strength. He gets stuck in, his passing is okay-ish...

His main two drawbacks, and the reason he won't ever be a brilliant defender, are is his brain and his positioning. He does things I can't explain, like handle the ball well above his head against Reading. I also thought he was at fault with bad positioning for his own goal on Saturday, and this was just a few minutes after he let Grabben have a free header he should have buried.

I reckon he's okay for this league, he'll have a few rickets in him but generally speaking not too bad. But he will get genuinely found out against top, top strikers. Unless he can somehow overcome those drawbacks.
    Succinctly put 123 buddy.
    I do not have ‘downers’ on players, nor look for a scapegoat, but there is no disgrace in being rested when comparable replacements are available.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)