+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Millers team never to get promotion?

Best Millers team never to get promotion?

I think it will be the most disappointing experience I have had of being a Millers fan.

This is the best team we have had for years.

Will be gutted if we fluff it.

It got me thinking what is the best Millers team you have seen which never got promoted?

I would imagine that would be the 81/82 team under Emlyn Hughes in the old second division .

Positive as ever IBS.

1976 / 1977 we lost out to Crystal Palace on goal difference. We had to win our last away game 6-0 and after 78 mins we led 4-0. It eventually finished 4-1 and Brighton & Palace went up.
    Was the year Alan Crawford scored 31 goals.

This for me shaded 81/82 because (and I know 81/82 was a higher league) but in 81/82 we were towards the bottom of the league before we won 9 straight games. We missed the two infamous pens, which, in hindsight if scored may have got us promoted, but may be that would have placed even greater pressure on us and who knows what might have happened.

On the other hand the 1976 / 77 was consistent all season and actually went into the final game still trying to get promoted. In those days finishing 3rd got you nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    1976 / 1977 we lost out to Crystal Palace on goal difference. We had to win our last away game 6-0 and after 78 mins we led 4-0. It eventually finished 4-1 and Brighton & Palace went up.
    Was the year Alan Crawford scored 31 goals.

This for me shaded 81/82 because (and I know 81/82 was a higher league) but in 81/82 we were towards the bottom of the league before we won 9 straight games. We missed the two infamous pens, which, in hindsight if scored may have got us promoted, but may be that would have placed even greater pressure on us and who knows what might have happened.

On the other hand the 1976 / 77 was consistent all season and actually went into the final game still trying to get promoted. In those days finishing 3rd got you nothing.
    I always feel 81/82 was an opportunity missed by both our clubs .

Luton Town and Watford took the top two places and weren't exactly clubs neither of us couldn't financially compete with .

Norwich took third spot coming from the middle of the league in February .

We were both right in the mix up to the final two weeks of the season .

Strictly speaking apart from Hughes the 81/2 team did get promoted in 80/1.

If IBS will allow a slight deviation from the "best team you've seen", the best Millers side ever not to be promoted was the 1954/55 season. We finished third ON EQUAL POINTS with the top two but an inferior "goal average" in the old second division. Only two teams promoted to the top flight then.

We'll never know, but I have a feeling that if we had become a top flight club in the 50's, when money and sponsorship wasnt the be all and end all, we could have become established T that level. A decade or more as a top flight club and you've set your supporter base for generations. Just look at the excellent crowds Burnley used to get in the old fourth division. A tiny, tiny little town but one with a club steeped in top flight football history and so there was an inherent civic pride in their club.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Strictly speaking apart from Hughes the 81/2 team did get promoted in 80/1.
    Plus Gerry Gow Cam.

Or was that the season after?

I posted earlier about the best team in our history (54/55), but the best I've seen was the 80/81 team. Legends 1 to 11. Unless memory fails me, we went the whole season unbeaten at Millmoor in the league. I was young then (10/11) but I remember going to the match not wondering whether we'd win, but wondering how many we'd win by. And we beat Barnsley to the title, which was nice 😉

The best Millers team I’ve seen, based on excitement, flair and entertainment was the one that had Towner, Moore, Seasman and Forrest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    Plus Gerry Gow Cam.

Or was that the season after?

I posted earlier about the best team in our history (54/55), but the best I've seen was the 80/81 team. Legends 1 to 11. Unless memory fails me, we went the whole season unbeaten at Millmoor in the league. I was young then (10/11) but I remember going to the match not wondering whether we'd win, but wondering how many we'd win by. And we beat Barnsley to the title, which was nice 😉
    I'll give you that grumps no problem at all , the final league table never lies .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast